electrical problem

Old 08-20-08, 12:20 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrical problem

last night i tried to cut on my master bathroom light and it wouldnt come on. i checked the breaker and it was flipped. so i flipped it back into the correct position and the light came on. but when i cut the light off, it wouldnt come back on. i went back to the breaker, but it was not tripped and i tried to flipp it several times but to no avail. the bathroom fan also fails to work,but the outlets are working fine. we thought it was the switch itself, but now the closet light is not working either. if we need to replace the breaker, how do we do that?
thanks for any help

Old 08-20-08, 02:24 PM
P
It's possible that a Black-wire conductor came into contact with a Grounded surface , tripping the breaker ,and causing a break/open in the conductor.

How old is the wiring, and what type of wiring; amored cable, non-metallic cable.?

You will need to examine the wiring in one of the outlet-boxes, and if it's a metal box, you may detect where conductor came into contact with the metal surface of the box by a "smudge"

You may need an reliable voltage-tester. If the wiring is old rubber-insulated conductors, remember , the rubber insulation is very brittle.

Old 08-20-08, 02:45 PM
D
thanks for your quick reply

the house is 4 years old, are you talking about the box in the garage or the one outside? i forgot to mention, occasionaly the box in the garage makes a buzzing noise

Old 08-20-08, 03:02 PM
P
I'll guess that you need to distinguish between a "box" and a "panel"; the breakers are in a "panel" ; the switches are in a "outlet-box".

If you are positively sure the breaker in "On" , then examine the wiring in the box where the switches that control the lite & fan are located.

Old 08-20-08, 03:21 PM
D
sorry to sound like such a dunce, the box outside has only one switch to cut off everything, how do i check the wires and where exactly

Old 08-24-08, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
Member banned

Moderator's note:

Member dea4arabs has been been banned due to the suggestion that his user name can easily be construed as being highly objectionable. As the member has no contact information in his profile and has elected not to receive pm's, this is the only avenue for notification.

Old 08-24-08, 10:05 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dea4arabs View Post
sorry to sound like such a dunce, the box outside has only one switch to cut off everything, how do i check the wires and where exactly
In the sub panel you haven't found yet. It may be in the house near the main cut off which is what you are probably describing.

(Answered just in case he re-registers)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: