Power supply for a garage.

Old 08-21-08, 08:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power supply for a garage.

Hi, im about to wire a mates garage.The switchboard is in one of the bedrooms.I am going to have a little DB in the garage.I was wondering where i take the power from? Do i come from the main switch in the switchboard,and il run it underground,(i have AS/NZS 3000/2007 to help me with the underground run).Would i have another main switch in the garage that i put that cable into.Then feed the RCD and circiut breakers from that?,or can i have it going straight into an RCD??

Also he wanted a welding outlet.What size cable do i use for that?Does it just depend on how many amps is needed?Could i use 6mm TPS? And do i just feed that circuit breaker from the top of the rcd so its not rcd protected?

Also what kind of mains cable do i use,i no it will depend on how much power is needed in the garage,but whats it called.is it called mains cable?Could i use neutral screen?

In the garage,all he wants is:
- 4 double PP's
- 2 Fluros
- 1 welding outlet (for a small mig welder)

Old 08-22-08, 08:27 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Jess,

This board mostly covers North American and some limited European wiring systems. I do not believe that we have anyone who is proficient enough in the New Zealand/Australia system to give you meaningful advice. Good luck in completing your project.

Old 08-23-08, 01:20 AM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I do have a good frenind of mine he is from New Zeland area and let me fill you few quick reqirement

Welder No RCD it will trip { check with your instuction manual for this }

Both PP's { receptales }

And Luminaires must have RCD on it

The 6 MM2 cable TPS should able handle about 45 amp IIRC

But how many metre from the main point to the garage location ??

The reason why I ask due some case it will affect the voltage of welder { BTW is that single or three phase verison ? }

Merci,Marc

If need more info let me know I can get ahold of him pretty fast

Old 08-23-08, 08:37 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here is the update info after I got a hold of my frenid and he say that the owner of that place can wire the place himself but his buddy can't do the wiring due the New Zeland regulation specfically { Regulation 58 }

Now for welder no RCD { it will trip the RCD very easy }

you can use the ELCB at the main panelboard but you have to remove the N/E link at the workshop panel board otherwise the RCD will keep tripping

You must sized the breaker to the cable size.

After you get all the rough in you have to call the inspector to make sure they are meet the New Zeland regulations.

Really myself I really recomoned that you get ahold of electrician in your area for latest info.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-23-08, 09:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jess08 View Post
Hi, im about to wire a mates garage.
OK, do you hold electrical registration?

The switchboard is in one of the bedrooms.I am going to have a little DB in the garage.I was wondering where i take the power from?
No, you need to install a seperate circuit-breaker on the switch-board, this in itself is Prescribed Electrical work, unless you hold registration forget it, you could also end up killing yourself or burning your mate's house down!

Do i come from the main switch in the switchboard,and il run it underground,(i have AS/NZS 3000/2007 to help me with the underground run).Would i have another main switch in the garage that i put that cable into.Then feed the RCD and circiut breakers from that?,or can i have it going straight into an RCD??
RCD can be fed from the Main switch at the Submain end, you can take a wire off the main switch, to a 10A socket-outlet, this will feed a MIG welder.
You cannot run a welder of any kind through an RCD.
If you are going to do this at least do it right before the Inspection happens, you did figure on an Inspection, didn't you?

Also he wanted a welding outlet.What size cable do i use for that?Does it just depend on how many amps is needed?Could i use 6mm TPS? And do i just feed that circuit breaker from the top of the rcd so its not rcd protected?
You can run a welder off a 10A socket outlet, most MIG's will do this, therefore I would use a 2.5mm 2C+E cable, protected by a 20A CB

Also what kind of mains cable do i use,i no it will depend on how much power is needed in the garage,but whats it called.is it called mains cable?Could i use neutral screen?
How far is it between the switch-board in the house and the garage sub-main?, any cable that is underground will have to be buried at 600mm below ground with a warning tape at 300mm depth.
If the total run is under 20m, I would say 2.5mm 2C+E run in 20mm conduit.
If it is more, I'd say 4mm 2C+E, also run in 25mm conduit, bear in mind that this conduit will need to be glued at each join

In the garage,all he wants is:
- 4 double PP's
- 2 Fluros
- 1 welding outlet (for a small mig welder)
A certificate of compliance will need to be filled out for this installation, before the wiring is energised, if you can't do this, get someone that can, to do the job.

Last edited by french277V; 08-23-08 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Clear it up so it can read better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: