make outlet independent of light switch

Old 08-22-08, 05:38 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
make outlet independent of light switch

The outlet in my daughter's bedroom turns off when I turn off the light switch.I want to make the top outlet work with the wall switch and have the bottom outlet stay hot all the time. How do I do this?

Old 08-22-08, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
First you would need to tell all the wires both at the switch box and the receptacle box, include all the wires attached to the devices.

Are you sure that the receptacle is not half switched already?

Old 08-23-08, 05:52 AM
I
First I should probably mention that the light switch controls this outlet only.There is no ceiling lighting.
At the light switch I have green wire to the box,black wire top screw,white wire bottom screw.
At the outlet I have green connected to the green screw,nothing connected to either of the
zinc screws(left side).
(Right side)Black wire connected to bottom copper screw.
On the back of the outlet (looking at outlet from front)the white wire is in the top left hole. Copper tabs are in tact between screws on both sides of outlet.
I hope this is enough info.

Old 08-23-08, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you only have a 2 wire + ground cable at both spots. I would have expected another pair of wires somewhere in the mix, more likely at the receptacle.

Is it possible that there are wires in the back of the box?

PS, top and bottom, left and right have no bearing on connections. Depending on the orientation would change everything.

Old 08-23-08, 06:45 AM
switched receptacle

your system is called a back switch of drop switch.... this means you have a constant hot (black wire) and neutral (white wire) in the receptacle box... the constant hot and neutral should go to the bottom half of the outlet, the black and white wires that goto the switch should go to the top half of the outlet (black on copper/brass screws, white on silver screws), then break the tab between the two black wires (copper/brass screws).

Last edited by rperry01; 08-23-08 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-08, 07:33 AM
I
There are 5 wires, 2 green and 3 bare wires connected together with a cap screw with one of the green wires running to the outlet.
3 white wires are connected together with cap screw one running to the outlet.
2 black and 1 white wire connected together with a cap screw nothing running to the outlet.

Old 08-23-08, 07:43 AM
I
Thanx!!! I guess my next question would be,how do I know what wires run to the switch? I assume they are capped together with the group of wires,2 black and 1 white,what do I do with the black wire?

Last edited by ibjgh; 08-23-08 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, the 2 blacks with the white are the constant hots. You will need to add a short length of black wire to this bundle and attach the other end to the receptacle on the other screw from where the black wire is currently attached. This will be on all the time. The black wire that is currently attached is the switched hot.
You will also need to break the brass tab between the 2 screws. Do not make any changes to the white wires.

Do all of the above only after turning off the power to the circuit that you are working on.

I would also suggest moving all the connections to the screws instead of the backstabs.

Old 08-23-08, 11:28 AM
I
Smile

Thank you!!!I have successfully half switched the receptacle.My daughter and I are very happy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: