Power outage in bathroom.

Old 08-22-08, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power outage in bathroom.

Hey all,
I'm new here. Great board.

I recently lost power in my bathroom. I mean, the light switches don't work (there are 4 diff panel/switches.. kind of a big bathroom).. A few of the receptacles do work... and a few of them don't.. some have GFI in them.

I checked the fuse box, but there's nothing strange there. I shut off the ones for the bathroom.. and even the Main one. But that didn't seem to help.

I went around and tried to reset the ones with GFI's in them, but nothing seemed to help my problem.

It's also strange that I have a heat/lamp/light in the ceiling (from a different switch/panel) which is working fine.

What the heck could be wrong?
I have no idea!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-08, 10:18 AM
Search for a GFI device, most likely a GFI receptacle, that is "tripped" and needs to be re-set.

Good Luck!!!

Old 08-22-08, 10:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PATTBAA View Post
Search for a GFI device, most likely a GFI receptacle, that is "tripped" and needs to be re-set.

Good Luck!!!
The GFCI device he speaks of could be anywhere. Inside, outside, front, back or hidden behind something in a basement or garage. It maybe a receptacle, it may be part of a switch, it may have a blank face except for test buttons.

Old 08-22-08, 11:38 AM
Thanks. I will scour the house and find it.

Old 08-27-08, 06:42 AM
Geez. I can't seem to find a bad GFI.
I had a friend who knows electricity come over and take a look. He couldn't find anything wrong. He said that he thinks the problem is on the non GFI breaker (there are two breakers for the bathroom). So, I bought a new 15 breaker and replaced it in my main breaker (very scary by the way).. but no luck.

Still no power to the bathroom.

Old 08-27-08, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Breakers can fail, but in my experience this is a rare occurence.

Did you try to troubleshoot the switches to see if you had power there? Is there a loose connection in the switch box?

Old 08-27-08, 10:23 AM
My friend tried one light switch, and said it didn't have power to it. I don't know if that means I should try some others...

Old 08-27-08, 11:00 AM
If the Gfi resets, then it must have power going to it. Perhaps downstream (load side of gfI) receptacles and or swiches are back-stabbed that have loose connections??

Old 09-04-08, 10:44 AM
We paid for an electrician to come give us this solution...

So get this.
Apparently, the people who built the house had setup a little "generator" system for running off a generator.... the box is right next to the fuse-panel in the laundry room.

The wife must have accidentally clicked one of the flip/buttons with a laundry basket or something (says she)... and it flipped the power source to our bathroom over to the generator system (which doesn't even work b/c we don't actually have a generator).

Funny, right... Except that I just paid somebody to flip a button.

Old 09-04-08, 11:22 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You highlight one of the frustrations of remote diagnoses we can only see what the poster tells us. Something we would recognize and see as important may be totally ignored by the poster. Glad you got it fixed.