X-10 systems

Old 08-22-08, 09:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
X-10 systems

Any downside to using X-10 for switches, dimmers etc?
I recently saw a remote video X-10 device that claimed to allow you to remote your TV to any other room without involving cables...

Old 08-22-08, 09:52 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
It all seems to work pretty good. The major downside that I'm aware of is that the X10 devices can be damaged more easily by power surges and lightning storms. If you put in a pretty big investment in these devices, I would recommend a panel-mounted surge protector.

Old 08-22-08, 10:27 AM
J
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
It all seems to work pretty good. The major downside that I'm aware of is that the X10 devices can be damaged more easily by power surges and lightning storms. If you put in a pretty big investment in these devices, I would recommend a panel-mounted surge protector.
That's great advice. Thank you

Old 08-22-08, 01:22 PM
C
The X10 control system for outlet/light remote control/automation is 30 years old or so. Although it still works, it is somewhat limited compared to what some more contemporary systems can do.

The X10 video extender is technologically unrelated to the X10 control stuff.

Old 08-22-08, 02:13 PM
J
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
The X10 control system for outlet/light remote control/automation is 30 years old or so. Although it still works, it is somewhat limited compared to what some more contemporary systems can do.

The X10 video extender is technologically unrelated to the X10 control stuff.
Well you have my attention - where would I find newer stuff like X-10? Thanks

Old 08-22-08, 08:35 PM
C
Two names are Insteon (which is somewhat based on X10, and appears to be compatible with some X10 gear).

Litetouch is another.

Lutron has some room based lighting control.

Old 08-23-08, 07:51 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 285 Posts
I've used X10 a number of years ago. It does work, but is sometimes flakey due to coupling between legs (your house has two 120v legs). I've recently installed a handful of Insteon devices (www.smarthome.com) and they are great. Much more capable, and I've never had a problem with signals or anything like that.

The downside...
They take some time, tinkering, and patience to set up. If you're just installing one or two, it's pretty easy. But once you get into scenes ("nighttime" scene which tuns on this light at 50%, this one at 30%, etc), it gets complicated to set up. You'll need some patience and the interest in learning how to do it all. Once it's set up though, it works like a charm!

If you want more info, let me know and I'll share some more ideas and hints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: