Mystical Recepticle

Old 08-23-08, 09:01 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mystical Recepticle

OK, I am totally confused. I have asked a few handy friends albeit not electricians, but they had no idea. I was hoping someone could help.

I am replacing 20 year old ivory recepticles and switches with white ones. The problem I face is:

I have tried this on two seperate outlets just to troubleshoot, and the same thing happened to both. I replace an outlet, which is controlled with a switch, with a brand new outlet and transfer the wires exactly to the same places on the new outlet. The switch then no longer works for the outlet. They are 15amp outlets like the old ones. I tried to replace the switch with a 15amp switch, but that did not work either. I checked the second outlet before I did any work and it was worked properly with the switch. I have wired them correctly and double checked the ground. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? It seems to me that it may be the recepticle, but I didnt see any "special" outlets that were specifically for switches.

Old 08-23-08, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
If you look between the brass colored screws of the old receptacle you will see that a tab has been broken out compared to a new receptacle. This tab is allowing power to feed both sides of the device overriding the switch.

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and twist this tab a couple of times to remove it. Re-install and test. Your switch should now work.

Old 08-24-08, 02:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Worked like a charm. Thanks tons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: