Finishing basement

Old 08-24-08, 10:44 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing basement

Hello,
My wife and i moved into our house in Oct. 2007. the house is brand new. I am in the process of finishing off the basement and recently called my district electrical inspector who was not very friendly and didn't want to give out much information.

The electrical inspector said that there were a lot of changes in 2008 to the electrical code. Can someone tell me what some of those changes are?

I have wired up a basement or two in the past so do have some knowledge concerning electrical wiring.

Any help as far as telling me common missed things and changes to the 2008 code would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I live in ND if that is needed or helps.

Old 08-24-08, 11:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It depends on which edition of the NEC you are familiar with. There were alot of changes from 2005 to 2008. But, likewise, there were changes from 2002 to 2005, so let us know specifically what you plan on doing with the basement. For instance if part of it is to be used for a bedroom, that circuitry must be protected via AFCI breakers. The basics remain the same. If any part of it remains concrete on the floor, receptacles in that area must be GFCI protected, but that goes back a few editions.

Old 08-24-08, 12:44 PM
J
Buy a copy of Wiring Simplified based on whatever version of the code is used in your area. It will tell you everything you need to know.

I don't know how unfriendly the inspector was, but understand that it's not his job to educate you. But he should answer simple, straightforward questions that don't involve teaching you. Some inspectors are just naturally unfriendly to DIYers. Luckily, not most of them. Some inspectors are also more helpful if you make an appointment with them to sit down in their office and review your plans (although not all inspectors are willing to do this).

Old 08-24-08, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
I will make a slight change to what Chandler added. All receptacles except in kitchens and bathrooms now require AFCI protection.

There used to be exceptions for appliances that were plugged into single receptacles did not require GFI protection in basements. This is not an option now, GFI protection is now required.

These would be the biggest changes that would affect you in the basement.

Old 08-24-08, 03:03 PM
C
this is who you should call for code changes the National Fire Protection Association. I am an electrician and they encourage you to call in fact they told a co-worker of mine you know heres my card put down the code book my number is all you need, so they are there to help just give them a call and ask, as long as the code north dakota follows is the NEC you should be fine. You should also maybe call up another inspector in another town around you since your's wasnt to cooperative (some can be pricks) and ask them maybe they will be nicer about it and ask them about any amendments there are to the NEC if any.

NFPA
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, Massachusetts
USA 02169-7471

Tel: +1 617 770-3000

Sales/Member Services
+1 800 344-3555 or
+1 617 770-3000

Fax: +1 617 770-0700

NFPA headquarters
Tel: +1 617 770-3000
Fax: +1 617 770-0700
From Mexico (toll-free) 95-800-844-6058

Customer Sales/Member Services
Tel: +1 800 344-3555 or +1 617 770-3000

Press 0 for assistance with logging onto NFPA's Web site
Press 1 to place an order, obtain prices, for renew a membership or subscription service, or for additional questions regarding NFPA products & services
Press 2 for information on existing orders, invoices, or statements
Press 3 for advisory service on a technical question
Fax: +1 800 593-6372 or +1 508 895-8301

Old 08-25-08, 05:53 AM
O
Thanks for all of the response. I love these forums!!!

I am going to have 2 bedrooms (We will use them for my office but they could be bedrooms and that is what we are calling them between my wife and I) A large living area, room for a Home Theater and a bathroom which will include a sauna and steam shower.

Bummer I didn't get my building permit when i first moved in. Could have saved myself a few hundred with these AFCI required breakers and the tamper resistant receptacles for starters. (This must have been a code change as well?? $1.09 a piece too...ouch)

I will check out the book and give another inspector a call. I don't want him to teach me anything just give me a few of the major updates in 2008 is what I was hoping.

Old 08-25-08, 05:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
There are requirements for egress windows in basement bedrooms. i do not remember the size and heights allowed from the floor, but do remember that the windows need to be quite large and steps need to be up to grade if your basement is not a walk out.
I would definetely check with your building inspector or the fire marshal.

Old 08-25-08, 09:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by olson2334 View Post
Bummer I didn't get my building permit when i first moved in. Could have saved myself a few hundred with these AFCI required breakers and the tamper resistant receptacles for starters. (This must have been a code change as well?? $1.09 a piece too...ouch)
Yes they are pretty pricey. The TR receptacles are also in the '08 revision. Enforcement of the '08 code so far seems to be very inconsistent. Many jurisidictions have put in local overrides on AFCI and TR receptacles for example. It sounds like you could be on vanilla '08 though in which both are required.

You will also need to have interconnected, hardwired smoke detectors (w/ battery backup) on an AFCI circuit.

There are requirements for egress windows in basement bedrooms.
Basement egress requires a window with openable space of at least 5.7 sq ft.; the width no less than 20"; the height no less than 24"; the height of the sill no greater than 44" from the floor. The window well outside must be a minimum of 36" x 36". This is now a requirement for any finished living space regardless of whether you call is a bedroom or not.

Old 08-25-08, 10:50 AM
O
I had the building inspector check the windows and they meet code for our area.

Sounds like i need AFCI for everything in the basement then. Bummer.

In what case would it be that you still qualify for using the standards set up in 2007? My assumption is when i took out the building permit?

Luckily my smoke detectors are interconnected and have battery backups. Covered there.

Oh, one thing i do have is a wet bar down there. I planned on putting this on the same circut as the bathroom down there and put a gfci outlet on the first box on the wet bar.

Anything else I need to know that you guys can think of that people normally miss?

Old 08-25-08, 11:09 AM
J
Yes, in most cases, the code that applies is the code that was in effect on the day the building permit was issued.

Get Wiring Simplified. It will tell you that you cannot put the wet bar receptacle on the same circuit as the bathroom receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: