Faceless GFCI

Old 08-24-08, 11:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faceless GFCI

I have seen talk of "faceless GFCI's" here and I did a google search and I came up with one but it was in the $30+ area. I was under the impression that they were less expensive or at least close in cost to a GFCI outlet. I have an application in which I would like to use one but if they are that price I mine as well buy a GFCI breaker. I do not think this is something that Home Depot or Lowes carries. What should they cost?

Old 08-24-08, 11:49 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Either big box store will stock this item you have to look more deeper or ask a store person to find it if no luck then electrical supply centre will useally stock this item all the time.

I keep few faceless GFCI with me and it is common in few locations where the Code or the installment instruction called for it.

Yeah they cost little more than standard GFCI recpetaile will cost but not that wide a margin it will be somewhere from 15~25 USD. depending on which manufacter it is.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-25-08, 09:15 AM
S
Smile

Hey Frenchie__Just curious, what sort of applications are faceless GFI's used for? thanx

Old 08-25-08, 09:16 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
They are actually more expensive than regular GFCI receptacles because the faceless GFCI are usually rated as a motor disconnect for use with Whirlpool tubs. If you'll look closely, the faceless units will have "ON" and "OFF" instead of "TEST" and "RESET" which makes them okay for use as an equipment disconnect. The package insert will also have a horsepower rating which makes it suitable for use as a motor disconnect.

Old 08-25-08, 06:30 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sidecutter.,,

Normally it used in whirlpool tub and few other location if the manufacter requrired a GFCI protection.

Some swimming pool pump { hardwired verison 120v } used the faceless GFCI but keep in your mind if I read the code change on 2008 NEC all pool pump no matter what voltage it must have GFCI { both plug in and hardwired }

And yes most faceless GFCI are motor rated so double check it before you put it on the motor circuit.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-25-08, 07:01 PM
D
You were right. Picked one up at Home Depot today. 2008 code version. It was actually a dollar less than the outlet version. Around $14. Marked as ON and OFF for set and test buttons.

Funny they did not have it on the web page. So now you know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: