Light Switch Bypass

Old 08-26-08, 08:55 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light Switch Bypass

I have a dual light switch in the living room. One switch controls the ceiling light, and the other controls part of an outlet. I'd like to use both receptacles on the outlet for for my home theater and not have to worry about someone accidentally cutting the switch off when going for the ceiling light.

I opened it up, but I'm not 100% sure what I need to do to bypass this light switch (the one on the right).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-08, 08:57 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Remove the black and red wires from the switch and wirenut them together using a yellow size wirenut. You have to poke a narrow screwdriver blade into the slot next to the wire to get them to come out of the switch backstab. You can either leave the switch in place simply controlling nothing, or you can remove it entirely and replace the faceplate with a toggle-blank two-gang cover.

Old 08-26-08, 09:18 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I thought that seemed like the logical thing, but wasn't sure.

What exactly is the purpose of the red wire as opposed to the black in home electrical systems?

Old 08-26-08, 09:47 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Red is just another color for a hot wire and is therefore technically identical to black. It is often used for convenience to indicate special-purpose hot wires, (like in your case) a switched receptacle, ceiling fan or three-way switch. There are also uses in 240V circuits and in multiwire shared neutral circuits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: