Recessed light keeps blowing

Old 08-26-08, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed light keeps blowing

I installed some recessed lighting in my basement about 6 months ago. One of the lights keeps blowing after only a couple days. This has happened about 4 times now. All of the connections are tight and there are other lights further down the circuit that are fine and have never blown leading me to believe that the light itself is faulty. Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-08, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Is this light under a spot in the floor that gets high traffic like an entry door or kids' playroom? Vibration is a major killer of light bulbs. Next thing to check would be the bulb socket itself. If it has a tab, make sure it's bent out far enough. Also make sure the socket is not dirty or corroded which could lead to a bad connection on the bulb. Bad connections produce excess heat which can shorten bulb life.

Is there any other symptom? When the bulb is on is it brighter or dimmer than the others? What style and wattage of bulbs have you used? What size is the can? What type of trim piece is installed?

Old 08-26-08, 11:33 AM
The light is located underneath a closet that gets very little use so I strongly doubt vibration is the issue. I checked the socket, it looks brand new, no corrosion and the connection seems to be good.
The light has blown twice while the dimmer was on full after a few minutes of use. There were no fluctuations in the brightness. The other 2 times I have turned the the light on full from the dimmer. I have dimmers that have a slide for brightness and an on/off switch, the slide was already on full when I switched it on. Both these times the light blew instantly. I don't think its getting too much power as the light further down the line is fine.
The light is a 5" can that was bought in a contractor pack from home depot. I think I have been using 50watt bulbs but they might have been 65watt. The trim is the plastic that came in the contractor pack.

Old 08-26-08, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's possible the light blew naturally the first time. Then the remaining 3 times you keep using bulbs from same package which perhaps are faulty. Maybe poor brand with vacuum seal gone from bulbs or something. Try different brand bulbs and see.

If it is newer fixture, and not the socket, and never no flickering, and the bulb instantly blows upon turn-on, with barely time to warm up - what else could it be? That is why I'm taking the guess I am.

Old 08-26-08, 06:23 PM
Are you using flood lights or standard incandescent bulbs? What kind of bulbs are in the other cans that aren't blowing?

Recessed cans don't like your standard incandescent bulb so if your not using the 65W "flood" bulbs, then you should be.

Just a thought.

Old 08-26-08, 06:42 PM
mad,

Keep in mind though that his fixture is not lilkely going out on any thermal, as he said they have blown on him instantly already. It seems like the fixture, at least in the short haul, should withstand any type bulb of the same wattage rating, IMO.

Old 08-26-08, 07:51 PM
Your right. Incandescents should at least last 1-7 days before they go in cans. Was just reminded of the occasional house call where all that is wrong is that the home owner is using standard lamps...

Old 08-26-08, 10:25 PM
First try the diffrent name brand bulbs to see if that clear up somecase some bulbs are very senstive with it and try with 130 volts bulbs { they are little more harder to find but typically found in large big box stores }

Senice you mention the dimmer there try to hit at half to three quarter brightness to see how it handle then raise up to full brightness.

let us know if that clear up with that issue.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-27-08, 06:32 AM
I just checked the bulbs I am using, they are 50w floods made by phillips. I just picked up a different brand and I am giving those a try. I am using the same bulbs in all my other cans but from different packages so the bulbs might be the issue. I'll see if that helps. I also picked up a new fixture and I am going to replace the old one just in case and give that a try. I hate the thought of having to rip apart the ceiling to get to the old one if I have any issues. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 08-27-08, 07:41 AM
So if you replace bulbs AND fixture, at the same time, we will never know the answer to the mystery.

The only 2 things I could think of regarding the fixture is one was already mentioned : That center tab is flattened in there and maybe is arcing due to poor contact. The other could be where they rivot the wires to the socket is loose. When that occurs, you see darkened flash marks around the rivot up therre inside the socket at those rivots. But if either of these were the culprit, you'd think you would see some flickering or dimming of bulbs once in a while. Hmmm. I think it comes down to the bulbs. keep us posted.

The fact none of your other same lights on the chain do not do this has been a big clue in this, also.