How to Search This Forum

Old 08-26-08, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Search This Forum

Can anyone tell me how to search this forum for terms such as 14-2, 14/2, 12-3, etc.

Trying to find posts talking about specific sizes of nm cable, but searching these terms always says nothing matches. Yet I've seen these exact terms in random posts I've read.

The reason I'm looking for especially 12/3 is to see what I might need a spool of 12/3 cable for, if anything, in my house rewire. I'm feeling that I perhaps bought in haste. It's been to long to return the cable, but I can't really think of anything needing 3 wire, plus ground other than lighting circuits which I'll do with 14.

Hmmm...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-08, 09:16 PM
Really just 3-way switches, a cable that will have a hot and switched (such as half switched recepticals), or two separate switched lines (Ceiling fans), smoke detectors, and multiwire (not for GFCI or AFCI circits, unless you get very expensive two pole AFCI or GFCI breakers) or 120/240 circuits ( rare for 20A or less).

Old 08-27-08, 05:56 AM
For clarification, I should have said I can't think of anything I would need specifically 12/3 wire for as opposed to the less expensive 14/3 which I also have.

All the possibilities mentioned were the types of things I had thought of, but can't see using 12/3 for them unless there's some big advantage to do so.

But - to answer the original question too, how does a person search for terms such as mentioned?

Old 08-27-08, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Click on search on the bar above, then click advanced search.

Put in terms you want to find in key words, make sure search entire post is selected. Then click search now at the bottom.

Old 08-27-08, 07:33 AM
That's what I have been doing, yet even this current thread doesn't show up in a search result.

Admins? Anyone know why common electrical wire sizes like those mentioned herein generate no results when searching?

Old 08-27-08, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Aahhhh Duhhh
My bad as well, I didn't try it first. Probably because it's numbers...not specific words.

Old 08-27-08, 10:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Try Google advanced search. You can limit it to just one web site such as this one. It may do a better job then the site"s search software.

Old 08-27-08, 09:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cakins View Post
The reason I'm looking for especially 12/3 is to see what I might need a spool of 12/3 cable for, if anything, in my house rewire.
It works great for providing power via a multi-wire branch circuit to some portion of your house that's a long way from your breaker panel. It allows you to run one wire for 2 separate circuits, BUT... you have to make sure you do it right. It cuts down on wire, runs, and cost for specific uses.

If you decide to go this route, do a search for MWBC to read more about the rules that go along with using one.

Old 08-28-08, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You can use 12/3 anywhere that you would use 14/3 including 15A circuits. Code only specifies minimum wire sizes, you're always free to use larger wire than required.

Old 08-28-08, 03:32 PM
Yes, I understand it's allowable to use larger size than 14 on, say a 15 amp circuit, but I was thinking more in terms of cost. Since 12/3 is so expensive, is there really anything that NEEDS 12/3. Something like a 3-way lighting circuit could be done cheaper with 14. But, then again, if I can't return the wire since I've had it so long, maybe it makes sense to make my lighting circuit bigger than originally planned. I could put another room or two on it and make it a 20 amp circuit and use the 12/2 and 12/3 instead of 14.

'Course the MWBC idea sounds kind of interesting. That way I could put the required two kitchen circuits on one 12/3 wire, right?

It's only the kitchen and dining outlets that have to be on separate circuits, right? Lighting can be on a general lighting circuit, right?

Thanks for the tips so far - it helps.

Old 08-28-08, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cakins View Post
I could put another room or two on it and make it a 20 amp circuit and use the 12/2 and 12/3 instead of 14.
That's a viable option, though #12 wire can be a bit of chore to work with if you have any crowded boxes like a 3-gang with all dimmers or similar.

'Course the MWBC idea sounds kind of interesting. That way I could put the required two kitchen circuits on one 12/3 wire, right?
From the box up to the point of the "split", yes. You cannot use a 12/3 cable after the GFCI protection without a pricey 2-pole GFCI breaker. There are some other complications with a MWBC like a mandatory 2-pole breaker and mechanically spliced neutral connections instead of device feed-through. It's a reasonable solution if you have a long distance from the panel to the kitchen.

It's only the kitchen and dining outlets that have to be on separate circuits, right?
You are required to have at least two 20A small-appliance branch circuits which serve only receptacles in the kitchen, dining andr pantry areas.

Lighting can be on a general lighting circuit, right?
Yes, lighting may be on other general-purpose circuits.

Old 08-28-08, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
From the box up to the point of the "split", yes. You cannot use a 12/3 cable after the GFCI protection without a pricey 2-pole GFCI breaker. There are some other complications with a MWBC like a mandatory 2-pole breaker and mechanically spliced neutral connections instead of device feed-through. It's a reasonable solution if you have a long distance from the panel to the kitchen.
Since my house is really quite small, it sounds like trying to do the MWBC method to SAVE cost in wire will actually end up being MORE costly what with the the pricey breaker and such.

All good info. :-)