Help finding a round extension box?

Old 08-27-08, 06:50 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help finding a round extension box?

Hello all!
This forum has been very helpful in the past. I hope someone can help me out here. Here's what I'm trying to do.

I need to mount several (4) outdoor light fixtures to a building I'm currently building. The lights are Hubbell vaportite wall fixtures. (Model VWGG) This seems like it should be straightforward, but

The building is built from SIPS panels. If you are unfamiliar with these they are a styrofoam cored osb faced prefabricated panel.
Initially we were going to use a very thin siding material. I installed plastic old work type 4"round boxs which clamped very nicely to the back side of the 1/2" osb face of the wall, and the box is flush on the outside. Change of plans and now I am using 3/4" thick wood siding.

Obviously I could tear out the boxes and find something that projects from the sheathing 3/4" to once again be flush with the finished surface. I'd rather not do that if I can find some sort of extension ring that will just screw on and make up my 3/4" Is this possible? Are there boxes that are made to project 3/4"?

I have done a lot of searching and even inquiring at the supply houses but I'm not finding anything that will work. Needless to say I want whatever I do to be code compliant.

Thanks in advance, I hope I have provided enough info.

Old 08-27-08, 07:19 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,389
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
You are looking for an Arlington BE1R.

The arlington website has a representative locator tab if you cannot find these at an electrical supply house.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: