Pool Bonding

Old 08-27-08, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Bonding

I hired an electrical contractor to install a circuit for my new above ground pool. The work was done today and I have learned that the pool is not bonded to the pump. I called the electrician to inquire about this (the work was done while I was at work) and he said that he has never heard of bonding an above ground pool (only in-ground pools).

Is this correct?

The circuit that was run is a 20amp dedicated line (GFCI) with the twist lock receptacle along with a service outlet. Is the pool safe to use in it's current state?

THe contractor suggested I call the pool supplier to see what they recommend.

(Needless to say, I'm a little concerned. This contractor is in the phone book and has been around for years. I would like to think that his work can be trusted...)

Thanks in advance for your expertise!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 07:24 PM
OK....I found this posted bi "IBPOOKS":

If the pool pump comes from the factory with a standard three-prong cord and plug, then all you need to do is run a 20A GFCI protected circuit out to the pump location. The receptacle must have an in-use bubble cover and be no closer than 5' from the edge of the pool. You may use 12/2 UF-B underground cable buried 24" deep.

My pump required no on site wiring (came with a 3 prong twist lock cord) so it looks like I need no bonding.....unless someone else wants to offer their opinion.

Thanks,

Langer

Old 08-27-08, 07:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Do exactly what he said. Call the manufacturer of the pool. Actually, he said the supplier but I would call the manufacturer too.

Old 08-27-08, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Pool bonding is covered in Article 680 of the National Electrical
Code. The type of pool will determine some of the requirements. A permanently installed swimming pool is constructed to be in the ground or partially in the ground, and all others capable of holding water to a depth greater than 42". I will not cover the parts about interior pools.

The following parts need to be bonded together:all metallic parts of the pool structure, including the reinforcing metal of the pool shell, coping stones and deck.
Underwater lighting
All metal fittings within or attached to the pool structure
Electrical equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system including pump motors, metal parts of pool covers
Metal raceways, cables, metal piping and all fixed metal parts, except those seperated from the pool by a permanent barrier shall be bonded that are within 5' horizontally from the inside walls of the pool or within 12 foot measured vertically above the maximum water level of the pool, or any observation stands, towers, or platforms, or any diving platforms.
Starting with the 2008 edition to the pool water also.

This is accomplished with a piece of solid copper no smaller than #8.

The bonding requirements are not the same of storable pools with a maximum water level of 42" or less.
You are mixing water and electricity together. Improperly done can lead to death.

Sorry to be blunt.

Last edited by pcboss; 08-27-08 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added storable pool comment
Old 08-27-08, 08:38 PM
this is what a lug looks like and they should be on every piece of metal on the pool, example the metal support posts around the parameter of the pool and the decking and such. The lug below is specially designed for the function of grounding the pool the way they are supposed to be. That is with a continuous uncut loop of like pcboss said #8 sold copper wire around the parameter of the pool attaching to these lugs pictured below that are inturned attached by nut and bolt or whatever to the above mentioned parts of the pool. (by continuous i mean the wire must originate at the pool pump motor and it should end back at the pool pump motor unbroken the whole way.) the pump motor should come with a lug on it, it might look a little different from the pic but its similar and on the frame of the pump motor the two ends of the copper wire should end there and be screwed down in the lug together.

I also think that if you ask your manufacturer they are just going to say check with your local code you need to talk to your towns inspector about this, he would definitely know what he says is law basically. he is "the authority having jurisdiction" but be ready for the inspector to say well where is the permit the electrician pulled for this job( if there was never a permit pulled, if there was then its fine going to the inspector.) but first before you go to the inspector tell your electrician it is code tell him to look up article 680.26(B) which states that the pool shell should be grounded. Also! Make sure that the dedicated circuit breaker that he put in is a GFCI (has a reset button on the breaker) because i found another article 680.22(B) that says it has to be. so now you have some knowledge to go to him with good luck.

Last edited by chewylu103; 08-27-08 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 09:28 PM
Let me add my comment related to the above ground swimming pools

For above ground swimming pools that are less than 48 inch depth { not sure what the limit of diamatier of pool but the depth that do count here }

For the pump only .,, the pump must have GFCI protected
The hardwired verison will have to be bonded if any metal items along the pool area it useally done with #8 bare copper

NO GROUND RODS that is not needed at all.

For corded verison the pump cord it should be no more than ten feet IIRC otherwise 20 feet with twistlock with GFCI breaker on it.

If you have any other electrical devices like luminaire or ozense { sp } device etc etc all have to be bonded to prevent voltage graduet.

It is very specficed in the NEC code I think it in art 680

But you have to read the whole thing on 680 it will pretty much cover for everything there.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-27-08, 09:28 PM
I appreciate the replies!!

I also appreciate the bluntness pcboss. I completely understand the ramifications of electricity and water together which is why I hired an electrician to do the work (I am a DIY'er for most things).

Chewylu103--I do not see a lug (or one similar) to the type that you linked on my motor (unless it is inside the housing somewhere). One of the estimates that I received states "Bond pump motor and heater to pool frame IF NON-DOUBLE INSULTED PUMP. Does this type of pump have different requirements?

Old 08-27-08, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by langer View Post
Chewylu103--I do not see a lug (or one similar) to the type that you linked on my motor (unless it is inside the housing somewhere). One of the estimates that I received states "Bond pump motor and heater to pool frame IF NON-DOUBLE INSULTED PUMP. Does this type of pump have different requirements?

The non double insulaited pump motor will have a bonding lug somewhere on the motor side or pump side if not you can use one of the tapped opening and add a copper lug to it

Yes you have to run #8 from motor to the pool frame and heater if that pool provide it.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-27-08, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Marc (and greetings from Southeast WI---Go Pack). I will let my electrician know the thoughts posted and also talk to the electrical inpector about it.

Thanks!!

Old 08-27-08, 09:53 PM
Yeah.,, A big hello from Northeaster to Southeaster

Anyway make sure you mention to your electrician about NEC art 680 to make sure he is up to the speed with it.

Merci,Marc