Screened Porch Electrics

Old 08-28-08, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screened Porch Electrics

I am in the process of completing a screened porch beneath my deck.
I plan on running conduit for a celing fan and also a light fitting to be installed outside of the door to the garden.

I plan on fitting the lamp to one of the posts that supports the deck above.
The posts are 6" x 6".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run the wiring?
I had thought about either routing a recess to sink an electrical box and conduit or I was going to run the conduit down the outside of the post and into an electrical box and then build up around it with wood in order to make it a little more asthetically pleasing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-08, 07:42 PM
I don't know your exact construction but we have installed UF cable in routed grooves that were then closed up flush with a strip of wood sized to fit flush once the cable was installed.

Old 08-29-08, 03:09 AM
I just completed a 9500 sq mansion that involved a telescope on a motor on one of the turrets. When it was ready to install the devices, the home owner had found low voltage lights that mirrored the shape of the telescope. I mention this experience because low voltage is much easier to conceal without losing alot of it's functionality. The down side is there is usually a pretty good size transformer that you need to conceal as well.There are alot of options available but appearance is a big factor especially when we are talking firring out to conceal. Go to a lighting supply outlet as they will have a bigger selection and a bit more knowledge than your Home Depot. A bit more in price of course, but it is certainly worth a look see.

Old 08-29-08, 04:52 AM
Thanks to both of you for your comments.
Dezwit: Are you saying that if I use UF cable I dont need to use conduit?
This would be a huge saving if I can avoid using conduit, in money and effort. I plan on running the cable between the decking and ceiling so that are will be damp.

Thanks

Old 08-29-08, 03:25 PM
As long as the wire will not be subject to physical abuse, you should be good to go.

Code refers back to Article 334 which states:
334.15(B) -Protection from Physical DamageCable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, EMT, Schedule 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit, or other approved means.
Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid...etc. or other approved means extending at least 6 inches above the floor.

When UF is installed in lieu of NM, you need to follow the rules for NM.

Make sure that the cable you buy is identified as sunlight resistant.