220 garage outlet

Old 08-29-08, 09:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 garage outlet

behind a wall plate in my garage there are two lines each has one black, one white and one copper wire. was this set up for a 220 recepticle? if so, would i attach one black wire from each line to the hot connectors on the recepticle and use one white and one copper wire for neutral and ground?

thanks in advance for any information you can provide...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-08, 10:07 AM
By "lines" I interpret you mean two "cables". If you take a voltage reading between the black and white of each cable perhaps you may find a 120v reading from one of the cables. Are the wires joined in any way? NOTE: Although not very likely, It's not impossible that you may read 240v between the two blacks. This would not be an invitation to utilize these two wires for 240v use. Pro's will come along soon

Old 08-29-08, 11:24 AM
yes, there are two cables coming into one box. they do not appear to be connected.

i'm not clear on exactly what you are saying, if both black and white wires read 110 (for a total of 220) it's still acceptable to wire a 220 outlet? it sounds like what i have in my garage is not preped for a 220 outlet...

Old 08-29-08, 11:41 AM
Question

What are the voltage readings between the black and white wires of the individual cables? 120V? 0v? Not likely 240 volts, but possible. By the way are the cables coming into an "outlet box"?

Old 08-29-08, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
No, that box is not set up to deliver 220V. The black and white wires are for 120V circuits. It's either two different circuits or an extension of one circuit, but it doesn't really matter for your purpose, because it's not usable for 240V.

What kind of tool are you trying to hook up? If you post the information about that, we can help you determine the correct size circuit to install.

Old 08-29-08, 12:26 PM
thanks for the replies...

i want to use a 220v, 18amp, single phase welder.