heavy duty shop outlets?

Old 08-29-08, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heavy duty shop outlets?

im working on getting power to a 15x9 shop in my backyard, ill be hiring a licensed electrician to work the boxes, but am running all the wires and outlets inside it myself to save $... so ive been using 12-2 romex with a ground to all the outlets (only 5), my plan is to have one central outlet for my compressor and/or 110v welder and then one for my 5000cfm plug-in wall a/c, or plugin heater in the winter (no two of anything running at the same time),... should/do i need to go to a higher guage wire, like 10guage for those two outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-08, 04:04 PM
Everything you mentioned uses a ton of power. But as long as they can all run on a 20-amp circuit, 12-gauge should be fine.

But your post raises many other interesting questions such as what wire will be used between the buildings and how far away it is and whether or not you intend to have a subpanel.

I'm a bit questioning of your assertion that no two things will be running at the same time. Does that mean you plan to unplug the heater or A/C each time before you turn on the compressor or welder? Seems like a big pain in the butt to me, and something you might forget from time to time.

Old 08-29-08, 04:04 PM
It won't really do anything to go to a larger size wire because you can't upsize the breaker.
Unless the equipment requires a 30 amp circuit, then you need to go to #10.
#12 can only go on a 20 amp breaker.
Inside your garage, voltage drop should not be a problem.

Old 08-29-08, 05:51 PM
i plan on coming off the house panel to a subpanel in the shop, what size im not sure of right now, once i get everything in the electrician will deal with that... the ac/heat and the welding/compressor outlets will be on dedicated circuits im sure. so is the consensus that im fine running 12awg to the a/c and welder outlets?

Old 08-29-08, 06:01 PM
Yes, no real need for anything larger than #12 within the shed.

Old 08-29-08, 06:55 PM
thanks for all the input!

Old 08-30-08, 10:51 PM
One word of caution.

Most 120V welders seem to want 30A, so I would question that a 20A circuit would be sufficient. Look at the welder name plate and check the input specs.

Old 08-31-08, 08:06 AM
Not sure if it is applicable where you live but the latest code requires that the romex be in conduit in an exposed situation shed/shop like you are describing. PVC is fine and not to expensive.