Installing New Lights beside door on Fiber Cement

Old 08-29-08, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing New Lights beside door on Fiber Cement

We've recently had our house resided with Fiber cement. I need to install new outdoor lights beside the doors and need to install the junction boxes to hang the lights on. All the wiring is existing.

Do I need to install the junction box directly to the fiber cement and if so, with what fasteners? Or do I need to cut through the fiber cement and install the junction box directly to the sheeting?

Secondly, with the angle of the siding laps, how do I make sure the lights hang plumb?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-08, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Check out some of the mounting blocks with built in junction boxes. You may need to get these from an electrical supply house.
http://aifittings.com/arliprod6.htm

As you may know the fiber is hard to cut. I use a carbide bit in a Rotozip.

Old 08-29-08, 08:31 PM
If I use one of these boxes built for siding mount, then would I still have to cut the siding? And what type of screw should I use to mount it to the fiber cement?

Old 08-31-08, 09:52 PM
Mount the "box" so its flush to the exterior portion of the sheathing is what I did.

If you use a hole saw,,,,,it will last once or twice with a LOT of work. If you use a roto zip (tried many bits including the tile cutter, metal cutter, drywall, etc...), it will take a long "dirty" time trying to get through the fiber cement......

I found a "lantern" with a square base so cutting of the fiber cement to fit was simple....

Cut a hole and mount the light fixture flush to the sheathing.

Should I have used a round light fixture, I would cut a wood square with wood at 1/2" thick and cut the square size into the fiber cement. Mount the light to the square and mount it flush to the sheathing

The best way to cut the hole in the fiber cement I've found (did it last week) is to use an angle grinder using a metal cutting disc rather than the cement wheel. Finish the ends off "gently" with a recip saw, or score it with a screw driver and pry it out..... Fast and easy, plus a very clean and precise cut.....and you don't have the siding tilt.....

Also used the same method for mounting the disconnect box and exterior outlets......Caulked around the disconnect box..

Passed the framing inspection which also checks the mountting and wiring of the electrical in a tough county so I know its probably acceptable to pass code in your area.