Baseboard Heater Question

Old 08-30-08, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Heater Question

Hello,
I wanted to add a thermostat to three baseboards I have in my sunroom. There was a double pole thermostat attached to the actual first baseboard but it was down on the floor so I got one to mount above and was planning to just move some wires down to the boards from that location. I've done this before elsewhere so the thermostat part is what's confusing me. BTW the boards are 6' a piece and on a double 30 amp breaker.

The question I have is there are three wires (10/2 wire) going to the first board. The black registers hot at 240 (with either ground or white), the white dead (with ground), and the ground is taped with brown tape. There is no grounding on the 1st board. On the 2nd and 3rd there are a brown/black wire, a white wire, and a ground wire coming in and those boards are grounded. With power one I read 120 volts on both the black and white wires, as I would expect for these heaters. Looking from below in the craw space it looks like there is a 10/2 wire coming into a junction box where all the whites are connected with a wire nut (there is 120 volts on them). The black from the first box returns to the incoming black on the 10/2 wire in the junction box and it has 120 volts. There are 2 separate 10/2 runs to boards 2 and 3, where the brown taped ground from the first box is hooked to those brown/black wires in 2 and 3. The ground from the incoming line is wrapped up with the grown from 2 and 3.

I don't understand the 240 reading at the first board on just one wire. If this was a parallel setup shouldn't all the whites and the blacks just be wire nutted together to supply power to all heaters? I'm guessing not because the current thermostat actually interrupts power. My major concern is that there was no ground on the 1st board. Thx for any help!

Any ideas on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-08, 05:52 PM
The black registers hot at 240 (with either ground or white)
It should read 240 to the white, but it should read 120 to the ground (if the ground is even connected). The white should also read 120 to the ground. Something is wrong with either your meter or your testing procedure or your ground.

Old 08-30-08, 06:06 PM
Bad ground

What I think is happening is the ground is running to the other boards as one of their supply lines.