Amprobe Clamp=On Meter Question

Old 09-01-08, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amprobe Clamp=On Meter Question

I have an Amprobe clamp on ammeter. It's an older analog type meter. It works fine for amps but I just tried to use it to measure voltage and I get a funny reading. I put the twist in probes in the end and tried to measure the 120 Vac outlet. It measures 25 Vac. Is there a battery in this thing or am I doing something wrong? I have it on the 150 Volt scale. I also tried other outlets, known to be OK with a digital meter, and the same low reading. i also tried hot to ground and got the same thing.
Thanks

Last edited by n1ml; 09-01-08 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-08, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look at your ampmeter and look for "V" for volts, not "A" for amps. Now when you have it set to a certain range, you have to look at the "V" scale and multiply the number on the "V" scale by the range setting amount.

With my analog ampmeter, I plugged it in an outlet just now. Mine read 1.25 on the 'V" scale, while I had it set to 600 volt range. Since my "V" scale only goes to 6, that means I have to multiply my scale reading times 100 = 1.25 X 100 =125.

Or, when I set the range scale to 300 volts - on my 6 volt scale at the bottom, I now get about 2.55 volts. Therefore, since my scale is 6 and my range is 300, I have to multiply my reading times 50 this time. 50 x 2.55 = near 125 volts.

Old 09-01-08, 03:52 PM
I just noticed that mine is a model RS-3. It has a 150 volt full scale, a 300 volt full scale and a 600 volt full scale. I change settings by using a thumb rotating device on the unit. I can also rotae thru several amp scales.

Old 09-01-08, 04:43 PM
So does mine/so can I.

But can you follow what I said and figure how to multiply your reading of the volt scale (and not the amp scale) to get the right voltage? You have to learn how to do this or else your meter will be worthless to you, especially if you ever run into a partial voltage situation and you are trying to guess if since you do show voltage, if you have FULL voltage or not.

I have several meters and actually prefer not to use my amp meter for volts, just because of the screwiness of having to do math in your head. I also have digital and analog multimeters (extras on hand in case I fry one in volt testing while on ohms scale). I have a collection of junkers now from this mistake. And no, the fuse inside is good)

Old 09-01-08, 05:09 PM
This is a picture of my RS-3. It does not have the scales you are talking about, I think. Maybe I'm still confused.
http://www.byramlabs.com/product_inf...oducts_id/3021

Old 09-01-08, 05:42 PM
Awww. They made the picture too dark! I can see that volt scale. But I see no range settings. I can't make out the corresponding black numbers next to each volt number, either.

I don't know.

If the picture was better, maybe I could guess if I saw everything. Either describe everything on your meter, or take a photo of it and paste it here, or hope tonight or tomorrow one of the electricians and/or moderators here knows right off the bat.

I took more peeks at the picture. I CAN see what the right black numbers are. Oddly/coincidently? where the red 25 volts is, it looks like that would say about 125 in the black scale. Is the red scale DC?, and the black scale AC?, and somehow they were able to do this with the 2 scales in reverse ascending/descending of each other? What does that black scale say that scale is for?

Old 09-01-08, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
I will try to pull my analog Amprobe out tomorrow and take a look.

Old 09-01-08, 06:23 PM
The blackscale to the right is an OHM scale. That is used when the proble with the battery is plugged into the side to measure resistance. The red scale, as shown is 0 to 150 VAC.

Old 09-01-08, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by n1ml View Post
I just noticed that mine is a model RS-3. It has a 150 volt full scale, a 300 volt full scale and a 600 volt full scale. I change settings by using a thumb rotating device on the unit. I can also rotae thru several amp scales.
Since pcboss will not know till tomorrow morning -

If you set your range scales to different ones, like 300 or 600, THEN what does the volt scale say? If it stays the same, I think your meter has issues, unless you have those leads plugged into the wrong holes in your meter. Some have 3 holes, yet 2 leads.

Old 09-01-08, 06:35 PM
Here is the mfg manual on the RS-3.

Your voltage readings are in RED, as you mentioned.

It mentions there is a pointer lock on the unit - maybe that has something to do with your problem.

If you see the box of personal precautions, it says in #8 that the "ohmmeter battery and fuse attachment" must be removed before measuring voltage, which you probably already removed.

http://www.amprobe.com/manuals/RS3.pdf

willis

Old 09-01-08, 06:58 PM
On the 150 VAC range, it reads about 25VAC. As I go to 300 and 600, the reading is consistant. The OHM meter probe is not plugged in. There are only 2 holes for the voltage probes. The pointer loct is not on. Maybe I have a bad meter?

Old 09-02-08, 04:00 PM
Normally the Amprobe on the ampmeter setting it useally selfpowered the same thing with voltage reading.

But if you have ohmmeter function which I am sure it should have one there if so turn to ohmmeter function and before you hook the leads up the needle should be on bottom of the scale { infinety or super high number } then take the black test lead to common port then take the red one to OHMS then do the ohm testing by hitting both leads together and it should be moving toward to the " O " marking there is a small dail for adjusting the ohm to read it to zero if that don't function at all then you have bad battery.

Try to relace the battery once to see if that clear up if not and the voltage reading is bad then either get new amprobe meter or send it to the factory they can able repair it.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-02-08, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by n1ml View Post
On the 150 VAC range, it reads about 25VAC. As I go to 300 and 600, the reading is consistant. The OHM meter probe is not plugged in. There are only 2 holes for the voltage probes. The pointer loct is not on. Maybe I have a bad meter?
That was a VERY nice 'find' by williswires, for you. He should get a raise. Or become hired on as some resident researcher

Could it be possible that in the past, when using it, you forgot about the disconnect instructions, and maybe now that cost you the meter?

Old 09-02-08, 05:36 PM
The other thing it came up in my mind somehow when the other person highlight one item it click in my mind.,,

Did your amprobe do have sliding lock feature so it will hold the needle in the place ?

If that the case you may want to wiggle it.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-02-08, 08:45 PM
I tried everything you guy's suggested but no OK. I called Amprobe and they say no support including no repair and no help. Guess I'll use it as an ammeter only. Thanks for the help and suggestions.