replacing old outdoor fixture

Old 09-02-08, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing old outdoor fixture

I started to remove an old outdoor fixture to install a new motion activated fixture. The old fixture has a long arm that juts out from the house. When I took off the arm there wasn't any junction box, just a hole in the side of the house where the wires came out. I am very new at DIY so could someone give me a little direction on what to do next? Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
What type of fixture would you like to install?

Most likely you will need to install a junction box to contain the splices, unless one is built into the fixture.

Old 09-03-08, 08:04 AM
I want to install a motion activated security light. Do I just splice off the old wires at the house? And then install a junction box? I guess I'm afraid of splicing the wires. Like I said, I am new at this single homeowner stuff.

Old 09-03-08, 08:46 AM
It sounds like the old work was improperly installed. You need a waterproof box (round) that the motion light base will screw on to. It will have a rubber gasket that fits between it. the wire coming through the wall can enter through the back of the box. you would then wirenut the wires - black to black, white to white and the bare or green ground wires together.

What I suggest is going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting someone in electrical that knows what they are doing and can help you. If you do not feel comfortable with what they are telling you or do not understand, then go to another store for a second opinion.

Old 09-03-08, 10:00 PM
thank you DSC3507. I thought about asking at Lowes. Hopefully I'll get a smart associate.

Old 09-03-08, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I respectfully disagree with one point: DO NOT ask for advice from ANYONE at ANY big box store!
Instead, buy the book "Wiring Simplified" at the big box store. This is an excellent book for beginners!
Good Luck,
Andy

Old 09-03-08, 10:45 PM
I suppose that statement is pretty disrespectful of any electrician who is working a second or retirement job at Home Depot or Lowes. While the general level og help at these stores is sometimes below par I have found that plumbing and electrical generally have a higher level of expertise.

Old 09-04-08, 05:55 AM
dsc3507, the problem with getting advice at any store is that you don't know who you're getting it from. You don't know if the guy is a retired master electrician or a guy that burned down too many houses due to bad practices.

Old 09-04-08, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No disrespect whatsoever was intended toward any QUALIFIED person working in the electrical department. The problem is that you don't know if that person IS qualified...
I still believe it is best to study up on a project and learn how to tackle it, rather than rely on someone else's opinion.