Wired Dryer Incorrectly

Old 09-02-08, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wired Dryer Incorrectly

Well, I think I may have really messed up my dryer.

I moved into a new apartment this weekend. My dryer is about 7 years old (3 prongs) and I noticed the hookup at my new place is a 4 prong. So I went and got the 4 prong cord, went to plug it up and for the life of me I couldn't see the colors of the wires inside the machine. (I don't have the owner's manual) I looked online and got an idea of what order they went in so I took a shot at it, plugged it in.. and no power.

So I unplug the machine, lean down and look way up in the back and see the wires.. and of course, all of the wires are plugged in wrong!! I plug them all in correctly now (and ground the green wire).. and nothing happens. I threw the breaker in the bedroom a couple of times, but nothing.

Did I ruin the machine by plugging them in wrong? A friend came over last night and was fiddling around with it, and got a little shock when he was touching the wires in the back so it seems to be getting electricity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really not looking forward to having to buy a brand new dryer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 03:46 PM
The typical dryer junction block the centre screw is netural you can able tell if you have jumper bonding strap there as well.

The outer right or left screw { you can tell black and red } that is power

To order to changeover to 4 wire cord you have to remove the jumper band or move the green ground wire if there to the dryer frame.

Here the photo of it { both dryer and most ranges are very simuair to this }

That should show you the correct connection without any issue

If still not getting power you should get ahold of your landlord about the situation and they will get ahold of electrician and deal with the system.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-02-08, 04:15 PM
I have all of the wires hooked up correctly now, the problem was the first time I tried I had all of them off. I had black and white on the outside, red in the middle and the green grounded to the screw on the side.

I'm just wondering if by incorrectly wiring it up the first time and plugging it in, could that have fried the whole dryer?

I think I'm going to look and see if I can find a blown fuse when I get home. If not, I'll have the apartments come take a look at it.

Thanks

Old 09-02-08, 04:32 PM
The way you describing it possblity that you did fried the timer and motor due majtory of the resdental dryer do have 120 volt motor and timer { the factory used this way for many years to keep their investory down a bit and both gas and electric dryer motor are wired the same way }

Did you reset the breaker if so and the dryer won't come on if that the case you want to get ahold of the landlord about the situation from there that person will take care of the situation.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-02-08, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
French is right. I drew a drawing of what you did when you wired it wrong the first time. What you did, by doing that, is you turned what should have been a 120 circuit into a 240 circuit. That 240 circuit was created by you putting black wire on outer terminal and red wire on center neutral terminal.

One of the outer terminals, and the center terminal, will be what runs the timer and motor. And these run on 120. Not 240. You would not have fried the element, but that is the least of your worries. The motor and timer are. And it may have fried it without even blowing the fuse because each of these are resistor components. It could have simply burned apart the weakest link in the motor and/or timer.

You would have to be good at following a wiring diagram, often found inside the console (panel that has the controls on it) of the unit, to figure out with a test meter exactly what got fried, and if it's worth buying the new part(s). Each of those 2 items, the motor and timer, will cost about $100 each, most likely. But it is possible I suppose that only one of these got fried and may have killed the power right then and there, from wrecking the other.

Old 09-03-08, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the help. It seems like I did some pretty expensive damage! I'm having the apartment send someone over tomorrow to take a look at it and see what needs to be fixed.

Thanks again for the insight guys!

Old 09-04-08, 12:11 PM
Can anyone recommend a voltage tester that I should be able to find locally at like a Lowes or Home Depot that I can use to test the current coming from the wall (to make sure its 240v) and to do some of the following tests found on this page:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/repairdryer

I would like to test the timer and therminal block. I've seen so many different testers at different prices, I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks

Old 09-04-08, 02:12 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I recommend a solenoid-type tester for homeowners. They do not react to "phantom" voltage the way a digital meter will.

Any of these, I do not know what the differences are other than the most expensive also has a continuity testing feature.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...voltage+tester

Old 09-05-08, 11:51 PM
Ok guys, I got a multimeter and ran through some tests tonight.

I tested the timer, the starter and the thermostat and all seemed to be showing the correct readings according to the following page:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/repairdryer

Now the only problem I did seem to find was when I tested the 4 prong dryer outlet. I got readings using the following diagram:

http://applianceguru.com/dryers/4prong_dryer_outlet.jpg

Whenever I tested the left line + neutral I got 109-110v, but when I tested the right line + neutral I was getting 40-45v. So now I'm wondering maybe if this was the problem from the get go? If the outlet is putting out the right amount of voltage to even power the dryer, then maybe I didn't fry anything at all. (If I'm thinking through this correctly)

I need to get my apartment manager to get an electrician out here, but anyone have any ideas or insight you can offer me?

Thanks

Old 09-05-08, 11:59 PM
If you try to turn the apt breaker on and off and not getting correct voltage reading then just stop right there and get the landlord to get ahold of electrician to come out and have him do the trobleshooting.

Typically can be bad connecton at one of locaton at breaker box or receptale location but somecase if have junction box somewhere it should be not buried and the connections should be good.

But really in the apartment wiring it best leave it alone let the electrician or landlord deal with it due the safety reason.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-06-08, 12:02 AM
Thanks French, that's what I'm going to do.