Breaker Box Screw Removal

Old 09-02-08, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker Box Screw Removal

Need to replace bad breaker in box. PROBLEM;buss bar is screwed in with 2 screws with only a half head on each side.
These look like they go in but not out. I need to get them out to remove braker, or I think I do?? HELP!!!!:

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 06:42 PM
Is this on the main breaker ??

And what manufacter it is?

To order to remove the specal screwhead you will need a specal tool to remove it.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-02-08, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Is it possible for you to post a pic of the breaker and another of the panel?

Old 09-03-08, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post

To order to remove the specal screwhead you will need a specal tool to remove it.

Merci,Marc
Main Breaker box. Zinsco (sp) breaker. Notsure of name on box. Looks like one way screws. not sure how to post picture.

Old 09-03-08, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by acparla View Post
not sure how to post picture.
Upload the photos to a site such as photobucket and then paste the various kinds of links in your post here. If you use the IMG codes, your photo shows up inline like this:

Old 09-03-08, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Main Breaker box. Zinsco (sp) breaker. Notsure of name on box. Looks like one way screws. not sure how to post picture.
By "Main Breaker box" did you really mean main breaker. If so and this is a Zinsco panel I'd suggest changing out the whole panel. A main breaker isn't usually a DIY project because power to the main panel must be cut at the pole. The breaker will be very expensive because the company went out of business over 30 years ago. There is the troubling safety record of Zinsco panels. Given cost to replace a main breaker plus electrician spending a bit more for a new panel just might make sense.

Zinsco info: http://www.inspect-ny.com/electric/Zinsco.htm

Old 09-03-08, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post

Merci,Marc
I'm not sure if it's the MAIN BREAKER BOX. There is a box outside, and this is the box inside the house with breakers.
The brakers are all Zinsco, so thanks for the web sight.

Old 09-03-08, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
By "Main Breaker box" did you really mean main breaker. If so and this is a Zinsco panel I'd suggest changing out the whole panel. A main breaker isn't usually a DIY project because power to the main panel must be cut at the pole. The breaker will be very expensive because the company went out of business over 30 years ago. There is the troubling safety record of Zinsco panels. Given cost to replace a main breaker plus electrician spending a bit more for a new panel just might make sense.

Zinsco info: http://www.inspect-ny.com/electric/Zinsco.htm
I'm not sure if it's the MAIN BREAKER BOX. There is a box outside, and this is the box inside the house with breakers.

Old 09-03-08, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Does the box outside have a single breaker? If so it is probably your main breaker box and the breaker is your main breaker. Is it also Zinsco? What is the size (amps) of the breaker you wish to replace?

Old 09-04-08, 06:38 PM
Does the box outside have a single breaker? If so it is probably your main breaker box and the breaker is your main breaker. Is it also Zinsco? What is the size (amps) of the breaker you wish to replace?
yes, the breaker inside is a double 30 amp breaker

Old 09-04-08, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Does everything go dead when the outside breaker is thrown? If so you can then safely work in the box where the breaker. you want to replace is. What you describe seems to be a security screw. I have removed them by cutting a slot with a Dremal tool then using a flat tip screwdriver but do this only if the outside main breaker is off and there is absolutely no power in the subpanel. Another poster suggested a special tool. Not familiar with it but it probably is simpler and better then my way.

Before you do this though what does the breaker supply power to and why are you sure it is bad?

Old 09-05-08, 06:15 PM
Does everything go dead when the outside breaker is thrown? If so you can then safely work in the box where the breaker. you want to replace is. What you describe seems to be a security screw. I have removed them by cutting a slot with a Dremal tool then using a flat tip screwdriver but do this only if the outside main breaker is off and there is absolutely no power in the subpanel. Another poster suggested a special tool. Not familiar with it but it probably is simpler and better then my way.

Before you do this though what does the breaker supply power to and why are you sure it is bad?
Great idea. It powers washer, dryer and hot water dispensor. When it trips none work. With only one plugged in, it will work for a while then pop. Hard to reset.

Old 09-05-08, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
It powers washer, dryer and hot water dispenser
If the dryer is electric this is wrong for several reasons. If the dryer is gas it is wrong for a couple of reasons. If an electric dryer it should be on a dedicated circuit. The washer is and I will assume the hot water dispenser are 120v. Neither should have been added to a dedicated 240 circuit but given the probable age this is three wire so not only shouldn't they have been added but there were probably not enough wires to do it by code. If everything is 120V then the maximum allowable breaker regardless of wire size is 20 amps for any normal 120v circuit. I suspect you may have a multiwire circuit. Possibly another can of worms.

Old 09-06-08, 09:58 AM
Thanks, dryer is gas. I think the smart thing to do is have a electician just replace the whole thing and be safe.

Old 09-06-08, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, dryer is gas. I think the smart thing to do is have a electician just replace the whole thing and be safe.
I was going to suggest the same thing. You might want to get the opinion of a couple of electricians but the breaker is definitely over sized for the circuit if it is 30a/120v. Let us know what happens..