Meter Socket Ground

Old 09-03-08, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Meter Socket Ground

Installing a new 200 amp electrical service in my shop. Iíve installed the panel and meter socket, waiting for the electrical company to run the new feed. The question that I have is on the meter socket (Cutler Hammer w/bypass). On this meter socket there is a location for a ground that other meter sockets that I have looked at (without the bypass) didnít have. I ran my ground (awg 6 stranded copper) from my panel to two ground rods eight feet apart. What is the proper method for running a ground for the meter socket? Should the ground be ran from the meter socket to the grounding rods or between the panel and grounding rods, or both?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-08, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
This depends on the policy of your local power company -- they often have different requirements. I see that you are in Wisconsin; we have at least one moderator who is an electrician in Wisconsin. If you post your city and/or power company he may be able to give you specific advice.

Old 09-03-08, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, let's wait on the northern boys to check in after work. I also question using stranded for a grounding conductor. We have some municipalities that require a continuous, no breaks, grounding conductor from the grounding rod, through the meter base up to the weatherhead in addition to the SE, go figure.

Old 09-03-08, 04:14 PM
I'll go with the solid ground also.
If we ever ran a stranded ground to a rod, you could count on failing the inspection.
Have you passed already?
If not, you might want to check with the locals and make sure that they will approve it.
The concern seems to be that the strands will corrode to the point that they break off and you can eventually lose your ground altogether.
If you are grounding the neutral at your main service, you shouldn't need a ground in the meter socket.
Some POCOs don't want grounds in the meter socket at all.

Old 09-03-08, 04:45 PM
nap
You guys are having trouble with stranded for a GEC? If you'all have some code section mandating solid, I would be very interested.

All I ever use is stranded. When you start getting into larger services, you can;t get solid wire big enough.

With the way houses are going, even the resi guys will have to use larger wire so those inspectors better get used to stranded wire.

dezwit posts:

If you are grounding the neutral at your main service, you shouldn't need a ground in the meter socket.
Some POCOs don't want grounds in the meter socket at all.
Most of the POCO's in my are will not allow a grounding conductor (independent of the neutral) in the meter base.

There is no need for it in a grounded service.

Here is a pdf from Duke energy. The specifically state the ground is not to be bonded to the meter base. They are one of many.http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/Sing...ase_Wiring.pdf

Old 09-03-08, 06:04 PM
I agree that there is no Code rule.
In fact, 250.6 says it can be solid or stranded.
Just an unwritten rule that we adhere to.
No big deal really.

Old 09-03-08, 07:37 PM
Let me chime in due I am in state of Wisconsin and tell me what POCO are you are on serving now ??

There are about 8 or more diffrent regulations each have it own regulations but however there one thing is common thruout all the POCO's in the state is No Ground wire in the meter sockets

If you are on Wisconsin Pubic service or Wis Engery or Duke or Attel { sp } they have website with regulations about hook up the meter if you have issue with it please let me know I can able post it up for you.

If you are on CO-OP system let me know the regulations are little tricky but overall they should be simuair to other POCO's as I mention above.

The other thing that you run the EGC's from the breaker box to ground rods only nothing else

Merci,Marc

Quick side note: I have no issue using straided conductors for grounding purpose it is easier and quicker than # 6 or #4 soild.

Last edited by french277V; 09-03-08 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add a note