pool bond wire ?

Old 09-03-08, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pool bond wire ?

I found the bond wire for my pool the hard way-with a mini-excavator. I knew where the conduit and pipes were, but apparently the bond was closer to grade-I hate not knowing exactly how someone did things! I ended up cutting it in half. the one end runs to the metal filter housing and pump mount. the other end runs under the concrete deck to (I assume) the light fixtures as well as the metal ladder which is not actually in the water but would be contacted by people in the pool. problem is that there is only about a foot of wire sticking out from the edge of concrete. Please tell me that I can buy some kind of connector to put back together. Obviously busting up the entire pool deck isn't a reasonable thing to do.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-08, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You can use a pressure clamp to put the wire back together. An electrical supply house should have a clamp that will do the trick. It must be stainless steel or brass and be listed for use underground. I doubt the big box stores will have one.

Old 09-03-08, 11:40 AM
thanks. I thought somewhere I had read that it had to be unbroken bond and I thought that maybe that meant it could not be reconnected-had to be one continuous wire with no splices. That would have been a disaster. You are right, I already checked big box and they did not have anything. I will call a supply house.

Old 09-03-08, 07:32 PM
The only two approved metholds for bonding wires is use the irrevsebale connector or intertermal welding one of the two will meet the code very easy unless something else that is appoved to use it.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-06-08, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
The only two approved metholds for bonding wires is use the irrevsebale connector or intertermal welding one of the two will meet the code very easy unless something else that is appoved to use it.

Merci,Marc
Marc, it does not have to be irreversible, any direct burial lug will suffice.

Old 09-06-08, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
Marc, it does not have to be irreversible, any direct burial lug will suffice.

Thanks Chris for bringing it up and I was forced to double checked the code book and yes you are correct that was my oversight { somehow don't laugh but it work for me what I useally do is get my Fench printed of NEC and double checked with NEC ( English verison ) to make sure they are correct due French is my primary langunge for me and thanks for your time to point it out }

Merci,Marc

Old 09-07-08, 02:25 AM
The unbroken bond rule is for insulated grounds running with power to light fixtures inside the pool. What you're fixing is the bonding grid, all you need is pressure connectors approved for direct burial.

Old 09-07-08, 07:56 AM
thanks all. won't have to fix till next season. the impeller on the pump seems frozen and with the weather it just isn't worth fixing at this time. pump is at least 10 years old so probably buy new one for next season.

so the green insulated wire in the conduit should be unbroken? there is an above ground box with no outlets just outside the concrete deck near each in-pool light. have not had covers off ever. so the green should simply run through here without any splices? what about the black and white? can they be spliced here? I think I recall something about this box being there to prevent water getting into light fixture?

Old 09-07-08, 11:00 AM
There's some exceptions with the power cable ground, basically allowing the cable to be broken inside approved enclosures with screw terminals. What it sounds like they want to avoid is any sort of splicing of power cables mid-run, no UF splice kits or anything like that.

There should be an unrelated ground wire (not in a conduit with the power wires) that bonds together all the metal objects within 5' of the pool. Like the ladder, a diving board frame, the wire mesh underlaying tile, whatever... this bonding grid ensures that everything metal is at the same potential, it's a greater level of safety than just having grounded light fixtures. They are two separate wires because a fault inside a light fixture will want to travel on the ground running next to the faulted hot wire (inside the same conduit).

So is yer broken wire in conduit? If it is, you'll need to repull new wire after fixing the conduit. If not, then direct burial clamps and some #8 or larger wire will do.

Old 09-07-08, 06:20 PM
no, the wire I broke is not in conduit. It was running with the conduit. there is separate green insulated ground wire inside conduit.

thanks