moving elec stove in kitchen

Old 09-04-08, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
moving elec stove in kitchen

Hi, we are in the process of remodeling our house and I would like to move the stove (it is electric) to a different wall. Before I mention it to my husband I wanted to know if that is possible. My husband will know the answer to the question, but he is doing all the work himself, if its not possible then I dont want to bring it up because then he will think I dont like the way he as it now and there is nothing he can do about it, but if it can be be done that is a WHOLE different story....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well the answer is anything can be done! I would recommend running new wire from the panel it is served from (where the breaker is) to the new location. This should be 3 wire cable with a ground and the plug (if there is one) attached to the stove should have 4 prongs on it. I mention this because the current stove may not be connected that way. It may use a 3 prong cord and have a cable without a ground.

The cost to do this assuming 30 feet of cable would be around $30-$50 I would say. Not to mention the labor costs!!!! You can pay for that!!!

Old 09-04-08, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If your range is currently supplied by a four-wire cable and plug, then you can simply continue the wiring from the existing location to the new location, provided that the junction box at the existing location remains accessible. If the existing wire is aluminum it will require special connectors to join it to the new cable, but it is do-able.

If the range is supplied by a three-wire cable, then you'll have to install a new cable from the breaker box to the new range location. Depending on the type of house this may be easy or hard to install. In a ranch house with an unfinished basement or crawlspace, this would be a pretty easy job. A two story on a concrete slab would require some drywall demolition and repair.

If your home was built before 1996, there is a very high chance it is a three-wire cable.