New Wall Oven

Old 09-04-08, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Wall Oven

I have a new GE wall oven to install. The wiring from the oven appears to be about 12 ga...never seen that before on 240v. It recommends the j box to be installed 24" above the bottom of the unit, in which case I would have to extend the house wiring and add another box. Any idea about the height of the box, and if I extend the house wiring, should I stay with the 6 ga thats there or match the wiring on the oven?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the wiring coming from the oven is part of the original package (I assume this is a new oven) then it is OK to use it. It should be in a metal sheath???? Where you put the connection box outside of the oven should be personal preference. They would recommend a location for rough-in but I see no reason why you can't put it where it reaches. Using different wire sizes is fine so long as you use the breaker size recommended for the oven. I would say the wire coming out is probably #10 which would be a 30A breaker but check the manual.

Old 09-04-08, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dinkdog1 View Post
It recommends the j box to be installed 24" above the bottom of the unit, in which case I would have to extend the house wiring and add another box.
Recommends or requires? Perhaps the reason is due to the shape of the back of the oven? Some have divots and grooves to accommodate the junction box behind. The placement of the junction box should not be a big deal unless the oven won't fit in the hole.

if I extend the house wiring, should I stay with the 6 ga thats there or match the wiring on the oven?
Match the house wiring. What size breaker does the oven require?

Old 09-04-08, 10:08 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
my oven had a similar story

The instructions called for a J box high in the oven cavity. In my case, the existing J box was 3' lower than that, it was even below the oven hole altogether in a lower cabinet. The conduit reached my existing J box OK. Like yours, the oven supplied conductors were 12AWG, but they were a high temp insulation.