mounting panel on cement basement wall

Old 09-04-08, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mounting panel on cement basement wall

Hi,

I am mounting a new panelboard (Square D Homeline) on a cement / concrete block wall in my basement. What is the best way to do this? I'm thinking of laying a couple of 2x4's on their sides and attaching them to the wall, then mounting a piece of 3/4" plywood on them, and attaching the panel to that.

My question is mainly regarding the required 1/4" standoff spacing of the panel for a damp location (the panel doesn't have 'built-in' bumpout standoffs molded into the sheetmetal). Does the spacing out of the plywood and thus the resulting air gap between the wall and ply fufill the standoff requirement? I'm not even sure my AHJ requires this (aka considers it a damp environment), but I'd just as soon not fail an inspection. And my basement is pretty leaky... but I do run a dehumidifier down there... :shrug

Thanks!
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 06:30 PM
As long as there is nothing dripping in the vicinity of the panel you should be OK. I would use treated 2x4's and maybe buy an 8' 5/4x6" treated deck board and cut it in sections and mount across the 2x4's. That will certainly give you a lasting and sturdy wood mount for it and cheaper than plywood. You could always put a piece of tar paper behind it also.

Old 09-04-08, 06:59 PM
I would use two pieces of uni-strut and 4 spring nuts. Never liked mounting anything on wood, no matter what you use it will go away eventually.

Old 09-05-08, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. Will both/either of these methods provide for the 1/4 air gap requirement? Do I need to concern myself with this requirement? I can't imagine the inspector not letting me run NM, so does that mean that he doesn't consider the basement a damp area (since NM is not allowed in damp) and thus I shouldn't be subject to the 1/4 air gap requirement?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 09-05-08, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A piece of plywood tapcon'd to the concrete is sufficient for mounting the panel. You could also use 2x4s as stand-offs or steel strut as suggested. You could also just put some 1/4" spacer washers behind the panel and attach it directly to the concrete with tapcons or expanding anchors.

Old 09-05-08, 11:57 AM
Does attaching a piece of ply to the concrete block and the panel directly to the ply waive or meet the 1/4 spacing requirement? Is this even a requirement that I need to meet unless I'm mounting the panel directly to the concrete block?

I'd kinda like to go with a wood backer so I can extend it up to the ceiling to provide a means for securing the NM coming out of the top (or sides) of the panel... Although the strut would be nice, but I'd have to then come up with another method of securing that NM.

Thanks,
Rick