wiring two different switches

Old 09-05-08, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need to know how to wire two different switches controling different things controlled by the same power source.I know how to wire the one switch to the garage lights, but the one that controls the outside lights im shaky on. im not sure i have enough wires. im installing wood on my walls and this my last step before i close it in. any help would be greatly appreceatted. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 10:57 AM
Depends on where your power source comes in. Assuming it's at the switch box and that it's a double switch box for both switches, then you'll need to have three 2-wire w/ground cables coming into the box. One is your power in, and two go out, one to each light. Wire nut all the grounds/bare wires together and leave pigtails for each switch (and ensure that the box is bonded if metal). Wire nut all three whites together. Wire nut the black to two pigtails. Attach each to the input of the switch. Then attach each of the black wires in the cables that go to the lights to the switch. One switch will attach to one black of one cable that goes to it's light, and the other black that is in the other cable will go to it's light.

Not sure, but you may need GFI on the outside lights if code requires it (I think I heard that is a 2008 thing - were still on 2002 here...)

Good luck,
Rick

Old 09-05-08, 11:36 AM
Rick gave you the most common solution, and you should certainly use it if it applies to your situation. But there are many ways to wire this. Which one is best for your situation depends on details you did not provide us.

Old 09-07-08, 09:28 AM

I got it. thanks for your help.