OK to mount LB conduit body's access cover sideways?

Old 09-05-08, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK to mount LB conduit body's access cover sideways?

Is it permitted to mount a LB conduit body so that the access cover is perpendicular to the mounting surface? Specifically, I want to mount a LB so that the back fitting goes into the side of a surface mounted panelboard. All that I can find regarding this is (2002) 314.29 'Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible'... The cover will be removable without having to move or remove anything.

I realize that a LR or LL may be more appropriate, but is the LB OK in the situation described?

Thanks,
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 11:46 PM
It may be a doable depending on how much space and can able get a tool { screwdriver or something else } to get the cover off but it will better off get LR or LL elbow fitting I know most big box store don't useally stock the LL or LR.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-08-08, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I agree that an LL or LR would be more appropriate if I understand your situation correctly.

Old 09-09-08, 11:39 PM
Yep, big box store only has the LB. Are there any online stores that I can order PVC LR's from? (as a retail buyer...) Or any other other electrical supplies, for that matter...

Thanks,
Rick

Old 09-10-08, 09:59 AM
Remember that the conduit body is being used as a 'pull point' for conductors. If you have all of the necessary clearance issues taken care of so that the 'side facing' cover is properly accessible, than the 'straight shot' from the cover to the outlet hole might make this orientation preferable to an LL or LR conduit body.

-Jon

Old 09-10-08, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The online electrical supply market is not very good. I suspect this is because local supply houses are typically very good at what they do so there's no room for online retailers. There are a few places that sell limited supplies online, but your best bet will be a local electrical supply house. Check the yellow pages -- there's probably a couple of them around you and most of them will sell retail.