PVC box adapter

Old 09-05-08, 11:44 PM
PVC box adapter

Not quite certain exactly how and when a PVC 'box adapter' is used and appropriate. See:

http://www.cantexinc.com/cantexinc/P...ox_Adapter.php

With a PVC conduit terminating to a metal junction box, does it make a difference if you use a male threaded adapter and locknut, or if you use that box adapter? It's more of a permanent solution, and I've seen posts where people complain that the locknut on the male threaded adapter doesn't tighten well. Seems that this would solve that problem. Also, with larger wires, you wouldn't need a insulating bushing... I just haven't heard much about them so I don't know - are they not a good fitting method? Are they relatively new? Are they a DIY'er type product that pros frown upon?

Thanks,
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 11:54 PM
Rocking Rick.,

Myself I have some expernce with box adpators but they only work the best with PVC boxes with PVC conduits.

For to termated to the metal box it the best methold is use the male adpator and use double lock nut{ Typically on larger box and larger conduits } but DO not over toqure otherwise you will strip the threads pretty easy.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-09-08, 12:07 AM
Thumbs up Nice

Indeed box adpators only work the best with PVC boxes with PVC conduits. With a PVC conduit terminating to a metal junction box, it makes a difference if you use a male threaded adapter and locknut, or if you use that box adapter.

Old 09-09-08, 08:08 AM
I used the box adapters in the basement where the PVC was coming straight across the bottom of the joists and I didn't want to offset to get to the conduit body and into the metal box mounted up in the joist space. A headroom saver.

If I recall correctly, if I hadn't used the adapter, I would have had to put a short piece of conduit into the back of the CB, then put a threaded adapter on, and then into the metal box, which would have required at least a couple of inches of offset.

The only downside I see is not being able to take it apart without destroying it. But once you've got your wires in place, even if you unthreaded, you would have a big hassle with the wires anyway.

I should say my junction boxes are 8x8 metal because I'd rather work with metal than plastic and weather is not an issue. This is for low-voltage so any code issues would not apply, or at least they are not enforced here.

Old 09-09-08, 11:17 PM
Thanks for all the insights. I'll just stick with the threaded adapters into the metal boxes.

Rick