Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Minimum distance between laundry tub and washer power outlet

Old 09-06-08, 07:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm in the process of framing my basement and I'm working in the laundry room. I've moved my laundry tub ~8" to the right and I'm going to re-plumb the water faucet and washer supply values today but I was wondering if there's a required minimum distance between your laundry faucet (or water in general) and the washer power outlet? After I relocate the laundry tub the power outlet is about 9" to the right and 9" above the faucet. Hopefully someone can help! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-08, 08:49 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
210.52(F) says at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry equipment.

210.11(C)(2) says it shall have no other outlets.

210.8(A)(7) says where the receptacle is installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink needs to be GFCI protected with a GFCI outlet or breaker.

I'm almost positive there are no exceptions to that last rule, even with a washer receptacle. If there is, I can't find it. Sometimes a washer will trip a GFCI when it first starts up. If that's the case, you could switch it out with a regular receptacle.

Maybe someone else can comment on that last bit. If you want to avoid it entirely, then make sure your washer outlet is atleast 6 feet away from the sink and then use a regular outlet.

If your using emt or ent with metal boxes attached to the concrete wall, then make sure the boxes are grounded as well.

Old 09-06-08, 09:16 AM
J
thanks MadPenguin!! I'm assuming the same would be true for a dryer receptacle?

Old 09-06-08, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Since you are in Canada I am not sure of the CEC requirements. In the US only the 120 volt receptacles require the GFI protection.

I will also disagree with MP about replacing the GFI with a regular receptacle if the washer trips the GFI. There is no exception.

Old 09-06-08, 09:37 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I wasn't sure about that which is why I asked for further input. I said you "could", not that you "should". Like I said, best to make sure your washer outlet is at least 6 feet away so your washer runs without tripping and you don't get electrocuted.

The only requirement for a dryer, that I'm aware of, is to make sure the frame is grounded with it's own grounding conductor. I've never seen a GFCI 30 amp dryer outlet nor have I ever seen a dryer with GFCI protection of any kind.

If you keep your washer outlet 6 feet away, then depending on the way your appliance doors open, put your dryer on the other side so it's 8-9 feet away from an exposed water source.