Running Cable's Side-by-Side up 2x4

Old 09-09-08, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running Cable's Side-by-Side up 2x4

I've seen some posts on here suggesting not to run cables beside each other in the center of 2x4's if you have, say, 3 or more cables. I'm aware of the stacker staples for running cables, but I was wondering why 4 cables should not be run in two pairs right next to each other.

If a stud is 3 1/2 inches wide, you need 1 1/4 clearance on each side for the cables which is 2 1/2 inches total. That leaves 1" for cables. 12/2 and 14/2 cables are less than 1/2" wide, so it seems like these should all fit.

Can someone clarify? I've got several places I need to run up to 4 cables down to a box from the top plate and need to know the best route. It just doesn't seem like stackers are really used that much in practice, at least in my area. When I called an electrical supply house here they had to kind of think for awhile when I mentioned them. Then they said, "I think we may have a few bags of those somewhere." To me, that says pros around here aren't using them. So how do they run more than 2 cables down a stud?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-08, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
It may be the old dog/new trick thing or it could be the additional cost that stops some from using them. Some only think of the material cost and ignore the labor portion of an install.

I like the time savings. Even for a 8 foot wall I would only need 3 stackers. I can install these quicker than dressing the cables and then stapling. I can also add another cable if I need to.

Old 09-09-08, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
It may be the old dog/new trick thing or it could be the additional cost that stops some from using them.

I can install these quicker than dressing the cables and then stapling.
Can you elaborate on the "dressing the cables" idea. If stackers aren't used, then it sounds like there is an acceptable way to run several cables up the same stud?

Old 09-09-08, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Flat cables cannot be stapled on edge, The staple would need to secure the flat side of the cable. Dressing the cable would be trying to get both flat sides of the cable flat to the stud face.