breaker change in bad weather ??

Old 09-10-08, 04:25 PM
breaker change in bad weather ??

I have a 20amp breaker that keeps tripping a few hours after it is bieng used. The breaker seems sort of flimsy when i have flipped it back and forth. Problem is the weather has been raining or drizzling and is expected to be that way for a few days i think...... should it be ok with all normal precautions, main power off and stay away from main leads into the box ? thanks for the help as always... Don

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would really help to determine why the breaker is tripping. If it is tripping due to an overload a new breaker will do the same thing. Have you added anything new to this circuit that normally does not run? What are you using on this circuit?

When you talked about the weather I will assume that the panel is outside?

Old 09-10-08, 05:20 PM
thanks for the quick reply, the breaker has lights and and air conditioners 110v on it. they are in my shed and when run very long they trip the breaker. i did a test with ext cord. for all things that use elec. out there and they all run fine when just on a ext. cord from the house. ( big cord ). i just figured the breaker was weak ? after few hours of anything running on it the breaker will trip. even a few lights. but everything runs fine on the ext. cord.. I just tried everything individually on the cord. i have an extra breaker and was just gonna try and see if it tripped it after couple hours of use.. but the weather is my wonder, just dont want to change breaker in misty weather if to dangerous .... thanks once again.

Old 09-10-08, 05:32 PM
Senice you mention shed that should have GFCI receptale there if so sometime they can get pretty senstive and can trip early escpally if wet weather situation.

Did you have any outdoor receptales ? if so you may want to check them to make sure they are not loaded with hevey moisture in the box.

If they come out good then did you check the breaker to feel if it is very warm or not ?

Merci,Marc

Old 09-10-08, 06:09 PM
no out door recpt. ,, i have not felt the breaker. i am just wanting to replace it with another breaker and see if it is the problem... the rain drizzle is the issue, or my issue if i turn the main power off in box should i worry bout changiung the breaker in bad weather, wet ground.

Old 09-10-08, 08:30 PM
Useally when you turn off the main breaker you have to becarefull the main wire { very large wire between the main breaker and meter } that part will stay alive all the time.

You can stand on the peice of drywood to isolated some degree .

But if the new breaker do still trip then you have issue with underground wire between the breaker box and shed.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-10-08, 11:52 PM
Is this panel in the shed your main panel? If not why not throw the beaker off at the main panel that serves it. Then you would not have to worry.