New Circut question

Old 09-10-08, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Circut question

My wife's friend came over to connect a new circut to the panel for me so I also let him connect the 2 outlets on the circut. Well I just took them out to screw in the side screws as he used the rear plug-ins. I noticed that the black wires are connected to the silver side and the white wires to the brass screw side. I can't release the plug-ins. Can I clip the wires and attach them to the sides? I ask because one of the wires is scored from where he stripped it.

I won't be asking anyone for help doing the work, but I do need advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 05:17 PM
You should be able to release the wires from the back-stabs by inserting a jeweler's screwdriver into the release slots, which are located next to the wire holes.

Old 09-10-08, 05:18 PM
It is wrong and you are right - black to brass and save your ass

If he was using the back stab holes that are held in by sprinf action that was also wrong. You need to either screw it down or use the newer outlets that have the hole in the back but they are xlamped in when you tighten the screw. Perhpas you have that kind - try loosening the screws and see.

Old 09-10-08, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Wagneja View Post
I won't be asking anyone for help doing the work, but I do need advice.
Sounds like you should have done it yourself from the get go...

There should be a little slot by the wire. Turn the breaker off first, then stick a small screw driver in. That should release the wire.

If that fails, then take some side cutters and snip the wire off right at the base of the outlet. Then wire it properly, using the side screw terminals as well as the correct colored terminals...

Old 09-10-08, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses. The Hubbell outlets I bought actually say on the back there is no release. I thought about clipping them off, but wouldn't the stubs (no matter how close I cut it) still be "live"?

Old 09-10-08, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yes. But if you use side cutters then there will be no stub...

Worst case scenario, just use new outlets. They're cheap and you don't want any possibility of a ground wire coming in contact with a left over stub.

Old 09-10-08, 08:23 PM
I'm concerned about where you said the wires are "scored". If the metal part of the wire is nicked during stripping, it can create a hot spot. If there is sufficient slack in the wire, the damaged part should be cut off and the wire should be stripped properly.

With "friends" like this, who needs enemies? You might want to take a closer look at everything he did.

Old 09-13-08, 07:50 PM
What I wound up doing was clipping the wires and poking them in deep enough that they won't touch anything. I have the circuts off until I have a chance to review the wires in the panel. The guy that helped me is a lineman for the local power company. Maybe outside wiring requires less attention to detail. He did tell me that he is planning on rewiring a good portion of his house. Scary.