Vacuum motors

Old 09-10-08, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vacuum motors

I'm a carpenter, not an electrician, and know very little abot electrical work, but would like to get started on this before my electrician comes to do several other things.

I've got 4 of these motors:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4M915

I need to wire them in a way that I can turn each one on and off independently, in one location. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, as it's going in my shop. Don't be afraid to over simplify the description of the parts/process, as this is new to me. I have several unused 220 outlets, and can have something new run from the main panel if need be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Assuming you have receptacles to plug into at each location you could simply run switch loops from each receptacle to a central location with a 4 gang box.

A switch loop usually consists of two wires (plus ground). One hot lead to the receptacle goes to one of those wires instead of the receptacle. The other wire goes to the receptacle. The switch on the other end goes across the two leads and opens or closes the circuit.

Note the above circuit does not completely kill the power on a 240v circuit. It will turn equipment on and off. If for safety reasons or local codes you need to completely kill the receptacle you would have to use four conductors (wires) and a two pole switch.. If you want to hard-wire instead of using a plug-in the circuit would be similar. Further note cutting power to only one conductor should be safe if it is a plug and receptacle because the plug provides a full means of disconnect in view of the equipment. If hard wired you may need a switch on both conductors in sight line of equipment.

Of course this can also be done with relays and low voltage control circuits but you wanted simple.

Old 09-11-08, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post. (It's going to take me a little while to digest all
that!)

Old 09-11-08, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post
Thanks for the post. (It's going to take me a little while to digest all
that!)
I know, sorry about that. Sometimes on these posts we have to try to cram enough info for a chapter or two of a book into a single post. Your question seemed simple enough and that answer was the first paragraph, use a switch loop, but then you start considering the variables and it can get more complex, especially a shop that might come under OSHA. Please post back for clarification of anything you didn't understand.