control blower from combo recec,switch

Old 09-11-08, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
control blower from combo recec,switch

Can i control a blower from a switch which is in the same box as a receptacle? The power comes in to the receptacle also feeds line going on through and around the corner. The other hot wire to the receptacle im using mainly to plug the blower in is just a short line. I want a receptacle and a switch to control the blower in that box.
Can i do that? If so how do i wire it ?,I'm stuck on this one. I have a feeling it involves hotwireing just part of the receptacle. I would appreceatte any help. I'm a very novice electrician as you can tell.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 10:45 AM
Sounds easy to do but just need a little more information.

Is this a double box? Can you put a switch and an outlet side by side? If not you can use a combo switch/outlet which has a switch and a single outlet in one space. Either way it can be done. If you use the combo you would only have one switched outlet in that box. Not an always on outlet.

Old 09-11-08, 11:22 AM
controling blower from recectacle and switch

Actually i didnt quite describe it right. The power comes into the box feeds the receptcle.It also feeds the line going around the corner continuing on. Im also getting power from the same source for my switch to control the switch for the blower. the recepticle and swith are side by side in the same box. They are all being run on 12-2 wire. Am i ok and what do i do?

Old 09-11-08, 11:51 AM
ok will try to describe it. Here goes....

First of all I believe you want one of the outlets on the duplex receptacle to be switched and the other to be always on. If this is correct then this is how you do it.

On the side of the outlet where the screws are there is a break off tab between the screws. You want to take a pair of long nose pliers and break this tab off ONLY on the side that has the brass screws. Leave the other side alone.

Power enters the box, black, white. Connect the white wire to one of the screws on the silver screw side (NOT the side you just broke the tab off from) connect the white wire from the lead leaving this box, to around the corner as you say, to the other silver screw.

Connect the black wire from the power entering the box, the black wire from the "around the corner box" and two short black wires, say 6-8 inches, together using a wire nut. You will need a red (large) nut. 4 wires total connected together.

Connect one of the short black wires one of the brass screws on the outlet. This is the side you removed the tab from. This will be the always ON outlet. Connect the remaining short black wire to one terminal of the switch.

Using a short black wire connect one end to one screw terminal of the switch and the other end to the remaining brass screw on the outlet. This will be the switched outlet.

Of course you need to connect all grounds together and to the switch and outlet.

Old 09-11-08, 01:06 PM
control blower from receptacle and switch

I only got four words to say.
'I LOVE YOU MAN'
actually this has been baffling me for 4 days now. thank you so much.

Old 09-11-08, 08:28 PM
Great. Glad to be of assistance.