RV Generator for emergency use in home

Old 09-11-08, 10:48 AM
RV Generator for emergency use in home

Storm is approaching Texas coast, and I am concerned about loss of electricity. Main concerns are freezer and refirgerator. If electricity goes out in home, would a 5000W RV generator run the freezer and refrigerator, if I run a 50 foot, 12guage rated extension cord between outlet in RV to the house? Do not plan to use elec lights, A/C, etc. Thanks for a fast response.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, a 5kW generator should run a fridge and freezer, and the #12 cord is okay for the 50' length. You will also have some power to spare for lights, tv, radio etc. It could even run a small window A/C if you have one. The fridge and freezer only need to run for about 10-15 minutes per hour if you keep the doors closed. You can shut down the generator in between cycles to save gas.

Old 09-11-08, 01:00 PM
Thanks for a quick and excellent answer. Should I be concerned about which electrical outlet in the RV I use? Maybe using the one normally occupied by the Microwave is best? Thanks again for your time and effort. Phil.

Old 09-11-08, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
If the generator had a receptacle built into it I would use that. If not any 20a receptacle in the trailer should be OK.

Old 09-11-08, 06:10 PM
Good Luck Phil.
We've been lucky here in South Florida this year.
I know what you are waiting on and I hope that everyone makes it through and emerges in reasonably good shape.
Let us know how you fare.

Old 09-12-08, 05:52 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your comments. Looks like San Antonio will miss the worst effects of IKE. This has been excellent information for me and it will be filed for future reference. Appreciate your help, Phil.