Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing 120V, 15A gas range where previous range used 125/250V, 50A

Old 09-11-08, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a new gas range where a 120V, 60Hz, AC only, 15-amp fused, electircal circuit is required. My previous gas range (about 9 years old) used a 50A 125/250V outlet connected to the circuit breaker that has two 30A switches for a combined 60A. The current outlet has three wires attached to it (2 black and 1 white). I was told by someone at the hardware store that I can switch out the electrical outlet to a standard 125V outlet by taking one of the black wires and the white wire and attaching them to the new outlet. The unused black wire should be covered with electrical tape and capped. Is this correct? Is that all I need to do? I couldn't find an adapter to use with the existing outlet and the new range.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Does your existing circuit also have a bare ground wire?

Old 09-11-08, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! That's why he's at the hardware store. Are you sure your previous gas range used this receptacle? It sounds as if it is wired for an electric range. What size wire is in the receptacle box? Turn the power off first. Is it a black box sitting on the floor? It will depend on the size of the wire whether or not you can just abandon one of the wires. You will have to rewire the panel breakers, eliminating the present breakers and installing a 15 amp breaker as per the instructions. The reason I ask about the size of the wire, if it was wired for an electric range, the wire will be too large for you to install a regular receptacle to it.

Old 09-11-08, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure what a bare ground wire would look like. In the outlet box, there are two other sets of wires that are capped. Two black ones and two white ones. I don't see anything else.

Old 09-11-08, 03:05 PM
Chandler - I'm sure my previous range was plugged in to this receptacle as I unplugged it from there. The outlet was flush with the wall. It is a larger black outlet with two angled slots and one slot in the middle. Is there an easy way to figure out the size of the wires? I think my previous range used a combination of gas & electric - gas for the burners and electric for the convection oven. Not 100% positive on this.

Old 09-11-08, 03:54 PM
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Most pure gas ranges only use line voltage to activate the igniter and run a clock or fan. Yours was running 240 volts at about 50 amps. Not sure why the 60 amp protection was put in there. The wires will probably be too large for you to wire them into a regular receptacle. I would run a new 15 amp circuit into its own wall box and protect it in the panel with a 15 amp circuit.

Old 09-11-08, 04:03 PM
Is that easy to do? I'm not really that savy with electrical stuff. How do I know if the existing wires are too big? Is there a way to do it with what I currently have?

Here is a link to a picture of the outlet I currently have if this helps:

http://www.fruitridgetools.com/store...id=8171&dfid=1

Old 09-11-08, 04:21 PM
I can guarantee you the wires are too big, probably 4 gauge. I think you are at a self defined dead end. You may have to call in an electrician if you are not comfortable running a new wire. They can do it and keep it hidden for the most part. It is what they do daily.

Old 09-11-08, 08:21 PM
While your gas range says 15A it is unlikely it draws more than a few amps. Check your manual. They are probably saying 15A because that is the minimum 120 volt size. You can tap off of a outlet nearby. In fact it would be good for it to be GFCI protected, although I don't think that is required.

A fully gas range only uses AC to power the sparkers for the burners, the lights, and the control (computer) circuitry. A very minimal amount, probably less than 1-2 amp.

Old 09-11-08, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all your help chandler and dsc3507. I really appreciate it.