Two [motion detectors] on one set of wires

Old 09-13-08, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two [motion detectors] on one set of wires

Hi,

This is my first thread here. I have been looking for a messageboard where lots of people come and help each other. I signed up for several now but most of the other sites, no one really get around to it. So, lets see how the responds on this site.

I am running conduit to two sides of my house, the front and the side. I have white, black and ground run inside the conduit.

Because of two different side of my house, one motion detector is not enough to cover both area.

Is it possible to install two motion detectors on one feed? If yes, can you clarify the wirings? All the white (neutral) can connect together right?

A Motion Detector have three leads:
-White = neutral (common)
-Black = hot
-Red = switched hot

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 04:43 AM
J
They can be on one circuit, but each needs its' own switch. This does not require an additional wire(red), the switch simply breaks the hot line. You could run the main circuit to a junction box then run your feeds to the two lights from there.

Old 09-13-08, 07:17 AM
D
I believe what you are describing is the motion detector unit itself which has white, black, and red, and a light or lights that have a white and black??? Is this correct? If this is what you have ALL whites wire together. The black from the motion unit and a connection to the whites is the power feed. The red from the motion unit and the black or blacks from the light(s) would go together.

You can run a motion detector without a switch but you would have no manual control. Often you cycle the switch to turn them on manually. See the manual on the procedure. Both could be run from the same switch in the black wire feeding both of the motion units I suppose but not sure if that would always work well. You can see.

Old 09-13-08, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by dsc3507 View Post
I believe what you are describing is the motion detector unit itself which has white, black, and red, and a light or lights that have a white and black??? Is this correct?
This is absolutely correct.
If this is what you have ALL whites wire together.
Does this include all whites from the motion detectors and the light fixtures?
The black from the motion unit and a connection to the whites is the power feed. The red from the motion unit and the black or blacks from the light(s) would go together.
So, all blacks from motion detectors goes to the power feed for black, right? All blacks from light fixtures goes to red from motion detectors, right?

Thank you Just Bill and dsc3507 for the fast replies.

dsc3507, you described pretty much what I am looking for. I would greatly appreciate it if you can follow-up on my questions.

Old 09-13-08, 01:12 PM
D
Originally Posted by WRDIY45 View Post
This is absolutely correct.
Does this include all whites from the motion detectors and the light fixtures?

Yes - ALL whites together.

So, all blacks from motion detectors goes to the power feed for black, right? All blacks from light fixtures goes to red from motion detectors, right?

Yes but separately. I mean you do not connect two motion detectors together except on the black and white feed side.

Thank you Just Bill and dsc3507 for the fast replies.

dsc3507, you described pretty much what I am looking for. I would greatly appreciate it if you can follow-up on my questions.
Hope that helps. Any other questions let me know.

Old 09-13-08, 09:47 PM
R
Originally Posted by WRDIY45 View Post
Am I understanding the situation correctly? You want to wire multiple motion detector units so that when any of the motion detector units trigger, then all of the lights come on, right? Or does each motion detector unit have it's own set of light(s) so that when that individual motion detector unit triggers, then only it's associated light(s) illuminate?

Your quoted description makes me think that you want it the first way. I really don't know (so don't get worked up, but verify it's OK first), but is it OK to tie the 'outputs' of multiple motion detector units together? This would have the non-triggered unit(s) being fed 120V into it's output. Are all motion detector units able to accept 120V 'into' their output?

Rick

Old 09-13-08, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by rockin_rick View Post
Or does each motion detector unit have it's own set of light(s) so that when that individual motion detector unit triggers, then only it's associated light(s) illuminate?
Exactly.

dsc3507, thank you again.

Old 09-13-08, 10:54 PM
R
Good, no worries, then. dsc3507 steered you right. The only reason I brought it up was that the way you worded it, it could be read either way.

Good luck,
Rick

Old 09-14-08, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by rockin_rick View Post
Good, no worries, then. dsc3507 steered you right. The only reason I brought it up was that the way you worded it, it could be read either way.

Good luck,
Rick
Thanks for pointing that out. Beer 4U2

Old 09-26-08, 06:30 PM
K
Question

I would like to ask about the other side of what rockin-rick said. Would it hurt to put 2 motion detectors on the same set of lights? I have spot lights that I would like to come on from 2 different directions but one detector can't cover it. I understand what you said about having power to both sides of the un-tripped detector, but does anyone have an answer to if it would hurt anything?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-08, 06:51 PM
R
I have been thinking about this more, and while I can't answer this definitively, here's my thoughts. If the motion sensors use a relay to switch the output on and off, then I'd THINK that you could use more than one to feed a single light (or set of lights). If the sensor uses a solid state switch (triac, etc.), then maybe not/maybe so.

Perhaps worth a shot if it's the relay one...

Rick

Old 09-27-08, 07:56 AM
K
How do I know for sure what style I have? Here's a little info. from the lable on the existing switch:

Regent Lighting Corp.
Model: MS403 Raintight
Photoelectric Switch
(logo)CSA LR95695

This switch is assembled with a 500wt quartz halogen spot light. I don't have the 2nd. switch yet. I wanted to try and figure this out before I spent the money on it.

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 09-27-08, 09:47 PM
R
I doubt that you'll be able to determine the 'type' of switch used in the unit without calling them or trying it out. I wouldn't think that info is posted anywhere. When trying it out, if you hear a relay, then there you go. Maybe you could try contacting the mfg. and see if they can tell you for sure if this can be used in this manner.

Good luck,
Rick

Old 09-28-08, 06:43 AM
K
If I remember right there is a click when the light turns on and off. Thanks for the help, Rick.

Ken