Cutting receptacle into formica backsplash?

Old 09-14-08, 10:09 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting receptacle into formica backsplash?

What's the best way to cut a gem box into a formica backsplash? I assume a blade with smaller teeth will minimize damage and possible cracking? Any tips or tricks are welcome, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-08, 10:53 AM
R
I recommend a Roto Zip with a fine tip bit like a tile bit. You can get a rotozip for around $40 and is well worth the money.

Using a sawzall or a jigsaw is a recipe for disaster, once false move and you will rip the formica

If you use the rotozip, practice cut on a scrap piece of wood so you get used to controlling it

Old 09-14-08, 11:08 AM
V
I don't have a Rotozip, but I do have a Dremel. Is there any bit I could buy for the Dremel that will cut like the bit in a Rotozip?

Should I score the formica with a knife first? That's something that I would have to be very careful with as well since one wrong move will yield an ugly scar in the finish.

Old 09-14-08, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Rotozip for $40? Man, I thought they were more like $80.

Yer more likely to slip trying to score it. Get the little router kit for your Dremel so you can keep it under control. I think Rotozip bits would fit if you have the right size collet, but Dremel makes bits that will work as well, just get the bit for laminate.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...l.aspx?pid=565

Old 09-14-08, 11:42 AM
R
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Rotozip for $40? Man, I thought they were more like $80.
Yeah it has been a while since i bought mine, I can't find any for less than $60

http://www.rotoziptools.com/?gclid=C...FQITswodbUpsDQ

Yeah the Dremel tool will work good too, At home depot etc.. the have a bunch of bits for them as well

Old 09-14-08, 02:19 PM
V
Ok, that's great that I could use the Dremel.

$40 isn't much, but I'd rather not spend it if I didn't have to. I know I'd probably not use the Rotozip often because it makes so much dust.

Gunguy45, myself and my collection of 1911's love your username Beer 4U2

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-14-08, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Voltage...well, yer the first person EVER, in over 16 yrs of using that in Email and screen names, that understood it. Most think it's an age or birth year.

.45's ROCK!!

Old 09-14-08, 04:15 PM
V
Voltage...well, yer the first person EVER, in over 16 yrs of using that in Email and screen names, that understood it. Most think it's an age or birth year.

.45's ROCK!!
45's are great, but I still love my Glock 17. How can you beat 18 rounds in one solid, durable, inexpensive handgun? I love anything that goes bang, but I do shoot best with my Kimber.

As for the Dremel, I found on their website the following: 561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit

That bit says it will cut laminate among other things, I did not find a bit that was for cutting only laminate, so I assume the Multipurpose bit is my best bet? Seems like it will work well since I could cut thru the formica, wood backer, and drywall in one step.

Any tips when cutting to make sure I don't mess up the formica? Just plunge and cut?

Old 09-14-08, 04:24 PM
F
VotlageHZ.,

Depending on which type of bit you have you can make a plunge cut or predrill hole with standard bit in the centre of the opening then work it way out.

But make sure you get few bits on hand due some of drywall can eat up bits { belive me I been there with that crap }

The multipurpose bit will work fine as long you don't snag on to tile ya good to go but take your time with it so you can make a neat cut.

otherwise you can make a template pattern of the box and just stuck it on and run along the edge of the pattern so you can make neat cut as well.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-14-08, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Yer going to have a cover plate, minor chips at the edge won't matter. So the multi bit should be fine. Whats behind it? If it's drywall, use a vacumn as yer cutting.

As to the method, depends on the tip of the bit. Some you just push in straight and do your cut, others you have to tilt over and cut in. Slow and easy is the same in both cases.

Glocks never fit my hand right, and all my Colts and clones were picked up cheap. How bout $330 for a 70 series Combat Commmander, w/ Wilson sights, beavertail safety, and a new trigger? Think thats a good deal? lol

I had S&W 586, Beretta 92, Browning HP. Got the CC and couldn't believe the feel. Best shooting I ever did. Would love a Kimber, but think my next may be a Taurus .45.

Wait, should this be moved to the guns and weapons forum? lol

Old 09-14-08, 05:44 PM
V
I just got back from Home Depot, I got the 565 Multipurpose Cutting Kit for $15, can't beat that. It comes with a guide, the multipurpose bit, and 2 drywall bits.

This worked out well because it saved me from buying the $40+ Rotozip and it makes use of the Dremel that's been sitting in my closet for years.

THanks for all the help guys!

Old 09-14-08, 05:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use masking tape or duct tape on the area and it will help to minimize chipping. I'd suggest duct tape but with out a test I'd only suggest painters tape not even masking tape.

Old 09-14-08, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts

.45's ROCK!!

We understand it, just don't comment. IMO everything from .17HMR to .50BMG rock!! Nice to see we have some shooters here!

To OP, I have very good success using the "sabercut" roto zip bits. Yes, they should fit into the Dremel tool. If this is your first time definitely do some test cuts to get the hang of it. Hate to wreck that nice new counter top.

Old 09-14-08, 08:05 PM
V
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
We understand it, just don't comment. IMO everything from .17HMR to .50BMG rock!! Nice to see we have some shooters here!

To OP, I have very good success using the "sabercut" roto zip bits. Yes, they should fit into the Dremel tool. If this is your first time definitely do some test cuts to get the hang of it. Hate to wreck that nice new counter top.
Funny you mention the .50BMG. I just bought a Serbu BFG and LOVE it. IMO, for the money, it can't be beat. It's accurate, solid, and simple. Sure, the Barrett is most like better, and I don't mind giving Barrett my money knowing they support my rights, but it's more expensive and the Serbu fit my budget very well. For $5 per round for target ammo, it is a little expensive to shoot tho!

Old 09-15-08, 09:41 AM
I
Thought Id put in my .02
Don't own any handguns yet. NJ laws to get one are totally ridiculous! For now, I like my semi-auto 30-06 and 30-30

Old 09-15-08, 10:10 AM
V
NJ laws are unconstitutional, I know from experience.

But getting a handgun isn't too bad. After you wait for the mental health, federal, and state checks for the first time, it's all downhill from there. The handgun permits last for 3 months so I simply get 2 of them 4 times a year. They cost $2 each so it only costs me $16 per year for the ability to buy 2 handguns at any time. Usually it takes about 2-3 weeks to get the permit, my old town did it in a couple days!

Old 09-15-08, 03:33 PM
F
Ya guys getting off topic for a min so please get back on the track.

If ya want to talk about guns talk in somewhere else in the forum.

Beer 4U2

Merci,Marc

Old 09-16-08, 05:08 PM
H
I've used both Dremels and Rotozips. Never was I able to cut a straight line.
Then I finally bit the bullet and bought a Multimaster.
Expensive and noisy, but SWEET.

Old 09-16-08, 05:12 PM
V
It's only a receptacle cutout. The GFI that I bought came with a mid sized cover plate so I should be ok if it's not a perfectly straight cut.

Old 09-28-08, 01:55 PM
V
I did the work today, the Dremel worked perfectly with the Multipurpose bit and the guide attachment.

It couldn't be any easier, I just plunged it in and cut thru the Formica, plywood, and drywall in one shot, came out perfect.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-28-08, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Glad it worked out...sometimes things that appear difficult turn out really simple with the right tools.

.45's still rock! and .17's to 50 BMG's...sorry French...lol