is this an open neutral?

Old 09-15-08, 08:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this an open neutral?

Hello guys. Today a friend of mine asked me to fix their light for them. They said that it wouldn't work. First i tested the switch for continuity which checked out fine. I then measured the voltage first hot to ground which gave me 120v then hot to neutral which gave me 91v then neutal to ground which gave me 65v. There are 5 lights on the run and only one does not work. The run doesn't seem that long? I didn't have time to examine things closer but could there be a loose neutral somewhere. I guess i'll be going over all the pig tails in all the switch boxes and lights.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-08, 09:12 PM
F
Are you using the digtial voltmeter ? if so you may reading ghost voltage.

The best way is get a real neon light tester or solined tester both will put a load on the line just engough to kill the ghost voltage.

Is this switch is single pole switch or three way due the connetection can change a bit.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-15-08, 09:19 PM
R
Yes it was a digital meter. It is a single pole switch. I also tested it by wiring an outlet up to it and i got nothing when i plugged something in.

Old 09-15-08, 09:58 PM
F
I don't know if i am reading this right but please do correct me if i am wrong here.,,

Is the single pole is what we called switch loop ? if not where is the power source comming in the switch box ??

The reason why I ask you because sometime you will only see two wire in the switch box that is called switch loop that get ya off gaurd if not carefull.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-15-08, 10:02 PM
R
Shouldn't the voltage when testing the hot and the neutral be 120v? I'm only getting 120v when testing the hot and ground. I also tested the hot and neutral using a light tester which gave me a very dim light.

Old 09-15-08, 10:07 PM
R
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
I don't know if i am reading this right but please do correct me if i am wrong here.,,

Is the single pole is what we called switch loop ? if not where is the power source comming in the switch box ??

The reason why I ask you because sometime you will only see two wire in the switch box that is called switch loop that get ya off gaurd if not carefull.

Merci,Marc
No its not a switch loop. It's a middle line run. I obtained the neutral wire from the pigtail in the back of the box. Just two black wires at the switch. The incomming hot and the outgoing black to the light.

Old 09-15-08, 10:15 PM
F
Okay.,,

Then what ya have to do is next is check all the wirenuts connections somewhere it got loosen up if you feel the wirenuts are kinda funky or not feeling get a bite at all just replace with new wirenuts it don't cost very much to get new wirenuts at all.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-15-08, 10:28 PM
R
Hey french. Thanks. Here comes that teddious task of finding a loose connection again. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I can't work on it again til next Monday.

Old 09-15-08, 10:38 PM
F
Sure Russell.,,

Just make sure you turn off the circuit you are working on that and also if you see other oddball colours wires show up like red or other in case becarefull sometime it can be MWBC { Multiwire branch circuit }

And get few extra new wirenuts as well get few yellow and red wirenuts { both are very common item but just watch the numbers of wire to be connected typically yellow work fine with two wire spiced up together but somecase three will do with yellow { useally with 14 gauge size } otherwise red will useally cover it pretty well on that.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-15-08, 10:56 PM
R
Like i said Thanks. I've been doing this seriously for 4years now. It's nice to still be reminded of the basics like what you said "Just make sure you turn off the circuit you are working." One of the most important steps in wiring but often ignored.

Old 09-22-08, 08:26 PM
R
Originally Posted by RUSSELLN114 View Post
Hey french. Thanks. Here comes that teddious task of finding a loose connection again. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I can't work on it again til next Monday.
Bingo! I found a loose connection in one of those hard to find out of the way junction boxes. While searching the problem I encountered several other problems as well. Ungrounded metal boxes, too many wires under wire caps, and hot and neutral reversed on outlets just to name a few.