Service rated air conditioner disconnect

Old 09-16-08, 05:22 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Service rated air conditioner disconnect

I have a GE TF30RCP fusible air conditioner disconnect. Is it service rated and can it be used for service equipment to meet the NEC code? I think it came with a blue sticker that says "Service disconnect".

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-08, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
What is your application?

A service disconnect is commonly used to prevent the power from being restored while it is being worked on by a service person.

Old 09-19-08, 01:20 PM
F
Service rated but still fails

I called GE technical support and they say the TF30RCP is service rated and will provide a letter to prove it. Nevertheless the inspector will not accept this. Does the NEC say it must be service rated but it doesn't say it has to be written on the device?

Old 09-19-08, 01:34 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Ask the inspector to provide you with a specific code article that you have violated. If his only dispute is that the disconnect is no service-rated and will not accept the manufacturer's specs, then it's time to file an appeal with the chief inspector.

Old 09-19-08, 01:55 PM
B
Fusible a/c disconnects are service entrance rated if they have the necessary ground bar kit installed and are of the necessary amperage rating to serve as such for whatever your disconnecting. I am assuming that your likely wanting to use the disconnect for an detached outbuilding?

Old 09-19-08, 11:55 PM
F
Those guys really steer ya straight on this one and I am aware that the Fused A/C disconnection pull out switch do meet the service disconnection cirtica by using the ground bar in it.

You want to ask the inspector to give you the excat code volitation and if he can't give you one then ask the chief inspector about this situation.

But I don't know if they have local code issue do come up but please let us know how it come out on this matter.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-29-08, 07:52 AM
F
service rated air conditioner disconnect

I called GE tech support 3 times. The first time they called back 2 hours later and said it was service rated. The second time they said it was service rated and would provide a letter stating such. The third time the tech looked at the unit and said since it didn't say service rated (or equiv language) it must not be service rated.
Someone said that if it has a ground bar installed and has the necessary amperage rating then it is service rated. This unit (GE tf30rcp) doesn't say service rated on the unit. The inspector will not pass it unless it says service rated on the unit regardless of ground bars etc.
I went to HD and they have a master electrician on staff and he found a Siemans main lug load center 60A - w0204ml1060u that does say service rated on the unit. It is $21.75 which I bought. He also said that 6 awg wire should be used between the unit and the interruptible meter. He referenced nec 230-42 but could not say if it is required by code.
1. Is this (Siemans ...) the best solution?
2. Is 6 awg required by 230-42?