220v oven installation

Old 09-19-08, 05:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220v oven installation

I recently purchased a new Whirlpool oven. When installing the oven I noticed that my 220 box only has three wires: one black, one white, and one bare copper ground wire. But my oven has four wires: red, black, white, bare copper. The manual states I should have four wires coming from my 220v box. Is this accurate? How must I wire this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-08, 07:43 AM
L
Yes you should have four wire. You need to look in your CB panel and see what they are using for the power to the stove. You should have two wires going to the CB. Black, red to the CB, White to neutral, Copper to ground. And the plug get's hooked up the same way, the plug is marked for neutral and ground. A three prong plug the Neutral and ground are put together, or the ground is left off.

Old 09-19-08, 08:05 AM
D
Codes up until recently allowed the use of the neutral as a grounding conductor and many "old work" systems are wired this way.

I can only tell you that if I were doing it I would install new 4 wire (3 wire, black, red, white with ground) back to the main panel others may tell you it is OK to connect the existing wires but I think it may not have been code to begin with from the wire you describe.

If you use the current wire you would connect the stove white and ground to the existing wire ground wire, the existing wire white and stove black, and the existing black to the stove red.

I am assuming that from what you say, that the old stove and this wire are connected as 220. You need to make sure this is the case.

BUT again I personally would not connect that way. As I said I think you should run 4 wire cable and connect it properly and to current code. The wire size back to the main should be at least #8 for a 40A oven and #6 for 50A. Check your manual. This may not match the size of the wire on the new stove, which may be smaller due to higher wire temperature ratings. If it is just an oven it could be #10, 30A but check the manual for connection requirements.

Old 09-19-08, 09:29 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It sounds like you'll need to install a new circuit for the oven. Black, white and bare was never a legal circuit for a 240V oven, so it would not be grandfathered for your new oven and is probably wrong anyway. dsc describes the process in the post above.