stripping uf-b

Old 09-22-08, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stripping uf-b

I was running some uf-b yesterday, and found it extremely difficult to work with. Is there an easy way to strip the jacket off to separate the conductors?

Also, do I want to leave the gray jacket on and the black and white wires and just expose the copper for my connections, or should I remove the gray jacket to expose the black and white insulation.

I've just never worked with UF-B before, and I can't seem to find any answers online (although I'm probably search for the wrong words on google).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-08, 07:55 AM
Stripping UF-B is never easy. Just work slowly and carefully with a small knife. I assume that you're not trying to strip more than a small amount at the ends.

I have no idea why you would want to leave the jacket on the black and white wires and expose the grounding wire. That doesn't make any sense to me, and it's probably an electrical code violation anyway.

Old 09-22-08, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
Just work slowly and carefully with a small knife. I assume that you're not trying to strip more than a small amount at the ends.
Thanks for the information. I figured that's what I needed to do, but I was thinking that there must be an easier way. Yes, this is just for a small amount at the ends to make the connections.

Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
I have no idea why you would want to leave the jacket on the black and white wires and expose the grounding wire. That doesn't make any sense to me, and it's probably an electrical code violation anyway.
It didn't make sense to me either. I just thought that maybe the gray jacket was so hard to take off because I wasn't supposed to take it off the conducting wires and just split it at the ground.

Old 09-22-08, 09:40 AM
Seatek makes a UF cable stripper that should make the job a bit easier.
http://www.seatekco.com/zs-140.htm

Old 09-22-08, 10:10 AM
Looks like a nice tool. Probably not worth the investment considering how infrequently I work with UF-B.

Old 09-22-08, 02:13 PM
Take a knife and *carefully* cut in between each of the conductors *" or so back from the end. You want to cut through the grey without hitting the insulation on the black or white. It's okay to run the blade along the side of the ground wire as long as you don't dig into it. This way you have three separate wires 8" long that are mostly wrapped in grey insulation. If you score the grey cable material a little you should be able to peel it off the actual wire insulation. Yeah, this part kind of sucks. The grey isn't adhered to the wires though, it just encases it snugly, so once you get it going it's not that hard to peel off. Once you have three wires free of grey outer convering, just strip the ends like any other wire and you're off.

Old 09-22-08, 06:39 PM
I use a pair of Wiss tin snips and cut from the end down. The compound leverage handles allow pretty good control of the blade to keep from nicking the conductor insulation. I can trim the jacket to within a couple of mm of the conductor and then use a pliers to grab the grey jacket and zip it down.

Old 09-22-08, 06:40 PM
I usually slice the outer jacket by sliding my razor blade along the ground wire. Then I pull the ground wire out of the way snd make a small slice, about the length I am going to strip off any way, along the groove where the ground wire was. It is a little thinner there. Then I pull the wires out down this same inside groove.
I always tell my helpers that skinning UF is like filleting a small fish. They always ask, "How do you fillet a small fish?"
I answer, "Very carefully."

B

Old 09-22-08, 08:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The new NM-B strippers strip UF just fine. Greenlee or others.

Old 09-22-08, 11:30 PM
I used the UF stripper or I do the old school methold.,,

I know some of ya will tell me that I am nuts but been doing this for over 20 years with this type of wires what I do is use the lineman's and cut in the vee format then grab the ground wire and give a heck good pull and useally work pretty good for most percentage expect super cold weather then do use the knife to strip it properly.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-23-08, 06:19 AM
Wow didn't realize I'd get all these responses. I used the utility knife carefully and got it off and I now have my new lamp post.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just wish they could make it easy like the NM.