Replacing celing fan

Old 09-23-08, 02:23 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing celing fan

I replaced a celing fan that has been there since i bought the house and was wondering why on the lamp wire (3 way switch) do i get 40vac between the neutral and lamp wire when off (no load) and 120 vac when on? Very simple box just the three wire plus the chase wire to the other switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-08, 03:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If you are using a digital meter, you are probably measuring what is called phantom voltage. This is a very small charge which is produced by proximity to other charged wires in the wall. If you use a simple neon-bulb tester, you will see that the voltage drops to 0V as soon as you connect the bulb.

Old 09-24-08, 09:34 AM
H
It doesnt lite the lamp but you sure do feel it when you touch the wire and it blows the breaker when it goes to ground. Just curious??????

Old 09-24-08, 05:50 PM
B
Could be a bad switch, three ways are good for having internal 'mystery' problems especially the decora type. I would also check all the connections from the feed switch to the slave switch. Could be a loose neutral. Check the neutral to ground could be a neutral to ground contact somewhere else on the circuit giving the neutral the voltage.

B

Old 09-24-08, 06:26 PM
J
Not all white wires are neutral. I think what you are calling a "neutral" is in fact not.