Subpanel

Old 09-24-08, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subpanel

Hi,

Everytime I read a post about subpanels, you guys kinda scare me a little. I guess I don't understand about potential and those types of things. Anyway, it got me thinking and here's my question:

I have a 30amp subpanel in my garage, it has 4 circuits (all single pole). Should I be concerned with the placement of these circuits? What I'm getting at is should I pay attention to what power is being used the most and move these breakers to opposite sides (legs), or does it not matter if one side of the 220 is being used more than the other? My original thought was that it didn't matter. If I need to "balance" the loads I could do that easily.

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-08, 09:32 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It should only be a concern if you are tripping the 30A breaker in the main panel which supplies this subpanel.

For the most part, it doesn't matter about balancing the loads. The circuit will be somewhat more efficient when balanced, but only becomes a safety concern when there are regular overloads evidenced by a tripped breaker.

I would only balance the obvious things -- fridge on one side, freezer on the other. Dust collector on one side, tablesaw on the other.