Suggestion for a 8 to 10 KW Diesel Generator

Old 09-26-08, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestion for a 8 to 10 KW Diesel Generator

We have a 200 Amp panel and I have installed a new Automatic Transfer Switch will 12 CB locations. I have our small 2 ton A/C unit, kitchen and other critical lightning and a few outlets on it. The 2 ton is a new 20 SEER Lennox and has real low surge and run amps. We will be less than 8 KW max. We do not have natural gas. An underground tank cannot be located due to setbacks and property lines along with 100 feet from the street. Diesel looks the best. Any suggestions for a 8 to 10 KW unit? We really do not want above ground propane tanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-08, 07:16 PM
If those are your only two, go with the 10 kw. I would try to get a 12 or a 15 kw. Being from Houston. Since the storm, I have seen a lot of burned up stuff, from low voltage. Mostly from generators that did not perform as advertised. That's just my thoughts and observations.

This post has lots of good info.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=359769

Travis

Last edited by waterwelldude; 09-26-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 08:09 PM
There are several good diesel units out there.
You have my phone number, give me a call.

Old 09-26-08, 09:28 PM
There are few diesel generators for that size you are looking for and typically stationary unit some of them have pretty big fuel tank below the generator.

Most small one I did see they useally have engough fuel to run at least 24 hours but some more depending on the fuel tank size { you may want to check the local code related to this matter }

Make sure you get fully enclosed with hevey duty muffer they are pretty quiet if set up right.

I know they cost somehow more over the Natrual Gas and LPG genset will be but in some area it will justify it.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-27-08, 10:26 AM
Can anyone give me a WEB Site to start looking for a diesel genset? I'm thinking that the 8 to 10 KW diesel is my answer. Are there any significant drawbacks to going with a diesel?
Thanks