couple questions

Old 09-28-08, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
couple questions

1) does a bathroom gfi receptacle have to be on its own circuit or can i tie it into a second bathroom and/or basement receptacles.

2) do flood lights need their own circuit?

3) are basement receptacles under the same code requirements? i.e. no more than 6' from a door, no more than 12' between, etc. reason i ask is i dont yet know the layout of what eventually will be a finished basement and i just wanna put a couple plugs down there till thats known.

4) the shape of my house is a long L. like a framing square. if i want to run a subpanel from the main panel and they are to be at opposite ends, can i go through the ground(shortest route) or do i need to stay in the building.

5) if a circuit is gfci protected do tamperproof plugs need installed or is this redundant protection?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-08, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Here are your answers;
1) Yes, but only if it serves only receptacle loads in other bathrooms. The basement is a no go.
2) Depends on the number of floods. Most commonly these are just on a general lighting circuit.
3)Unfinished basements would only regquire 1 GFI receptacle per unfinsihed section, ie, if you have a wall for the utility area and a future rec room you would need 2 GFI receptacles.
4)I see no reason why it couldn't go underground. You would however need to use conductors rated for use in a wet area.
5) Yes, TR receptacles are still needed with the GFI protection.

Depending on whether your area has adopted the 2008 Code you will also need AFCI protection for all circuits except for the kitchen and bath receptacles.

Old 09-28-08, 09:45 AM
Here is my answer .,,

1) you can tie into other bathroom repectale as long it do not have lights on that circuit., However to basement or outdoor recpetale it is not allowed { no go on this part }

2) It will depending on the numbers and wattage on the flood luminaires most case it will useally be on genral lighting circuit unless you got large numbers of flood luminaires or high wattage quatz then it will be wise to wired on separted circuit { dont be suprised if you have few 300 or 500 watter can really load up pretty fast }

3) Typically unfinshed basement useally only need one GFCI receptale unless you got very large basement then put one on each end that useally serve pretty good however., a small gotcha is if you have sump pump you may want this to be on separted GFCI circuit.

4) It canbe done either way but if you go underground route in the conduit make sure you bury at least 18 inch down the ground and make sure they are rated for wet locations.

5) Oui { Yes } It do need the TR on the GFCI receptale if you are on 2008 NEC code.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-28-08, 11:52 AM
thank you for the responses.

just so i'm clear....i have two bathrooms. each will have only one receptacle.( i had said they will be gfi. i think what i need is gfci in there, right?). am i to understand that these two receptacles can be on one 20A circuit but that no other non-bath receptacle is permitted on this circuit?

also, in this case or in the basement, does the first receptacle in a series protect the rest, provided they are not pigtailed. or does each one need to be a gfci receptacle?

fwiw, i believe i am under 2005 nec with a recent requirement of afci in the bedrooms

Old 09-28-08, 12:29 PM
Yes, if that circuit only supplies bathroom recepticals. The specifically excludes lighting, heating, and ventilation. If any of those are connected to the bathroom receptical, then each bathroom needs its own circuit.

If the basement area served by the recepticals will be finished, it need not be GFI protected. you can daisy-chain them as normal.

If you want multiple recepticals in unfinished areas, further ones can be daisy-chained off the first, only it being a GFI, the rest standard. By virtue of the being supplied from the load terminals of a GFI receptical, they are GFI protected.

On feeding the subpanel:
I'd go inside. The labor will be easier (no trenching, just drill holes through some joists, at most), and materials cheaper (you don't need harder to deal with "wet" or buriable grade components), nor have to penetrate the skin of your home.