Pool Pump Motor won't run

Old 09-28-08, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Pump Motor won't run

I just replaced a 20+ year-old pool pump with a new pump/motor that was as close a match as I could find. In fact the new motor is by almost exactly the same AO Smith motor as the original. The new pump keeps turning off and on, like once a second. After reading these forums, I turned the inlet valve down about half way and the pump runs steady. As I open the valve, the motor slows down, until the motor stops, and starts cycling. The pump never builds up any head pressure in the filter, but the flow seems good at the outlet. What could be the problem? Everything, power/ratings are identical to the old set up. I don't want to run at half flow, the stream of water coming into the strainer basket, in front of the pump, looks like its going to break something.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-08, 05:58 PM
Ok .,,

I know you did adjust the water flow on the intake side of the pump.

Was the old pump HP and RPM is the same as new one ?

And with some of the pump they have two speed options so you may have low and high speed hook up wrong.

but very rare but it do happend from time to time the pump rotation can be backward which it did not affect the old one as new one it did affect the performace.

Oh By the way what voltage pump ya on and this is hardwired or cord/plug set up ?

Merci,Marc

Old 09-28-08, 08:55 PM
Both the pump and the motor was by the same company, the motor was exact, the pump was configured significantly different, but the specs were exact. I checked the rotation and it’s going in the direction indicated by the arrow on the pump housing. The switch on the motor came factory set to 220, I checked it, and it looked like it was at 220, that's what the old pump was set to, with exactly the same switch, but I'll take the motor apart again tomorrow and check it to make doubly sure its set to 220 and that I do have 220 between L0 and L1 on the motor. The motor is hard wired, I just unhooked the wires from the old pump and hooked them up to the new motor. Thanks for the response.

Old 09-28-08, 10:53 PM
220 between L0 and L1 on the motor

line o? line 1 and 2. should be 230 or so with the motor running,(dont check to ground, check between L1 L2) should be around 10 amps for a 1.5 hp motor
sounds like you have a bad breaker .the motor is running on 115 volts.. SF makes a diff too check your old motors sf service factor that ao smith is a great motor!!!!!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-29-08 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Removed phone number.
Old 09-29-08, 06:25 PM
Well.... you were right. There was 115V at the motor. I changed the switch and its pumping perfectly now. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Rich R