Outside light Out. Need advice.

Old 09-28-08, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside light Out. Need advice.

My outside light went out after the day i bought this House. I put new bulbs and it still doesnt work. there are two light switches on one panel for this particular one im talking about. I changed the light switches around to see if it was the switch but they both work. so now its either the wire or the piece that the light bulb screws into. I dont have a voly meter yet. what kind is a good volt meter to get for a job around the house. Not to cheap or expensive. I might would like to rewire this light switch too. It has alot of wires just for this light switch that are cut and not in use. (if I have to change the wire).
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 05:56 PM
Is your socket verticle or pointing down? If it is verticle then this is just a tip, as I have run into this on several occasions, check inside the light socket for dead bugs. Sometimes the midges and mosquitoes will get in between the bulb and the socket and die. Then when you replace the bulb they fall into the socket and prevent the bulb from seating properly.

B

Old 09-29-08, 09:01 PM
For most electrical work around the house, all you need is a $2 neon circuit tester. I would supplement that with a $6-8 outlet tester, a device that plugs in and has three lamps. If you have an older home without grounding, I would also get a $15 non-contact voltage "tick" tester.

Most homeowners don't need a multimeter or a voltmeter, although a multimeter is a handy tool for testing those batteries in the junk drawer. The problem with using a multimeter for electrical work is that unless you have a pretty deep understanding of phantom voltage, they can be more confusing than they are helpful.